Parquet Flooring

Jim McPhail

Cleantalk Member
Going to have a look at some parquet flooring tomorrow. First time I have been asked to clean this type of flooring. Any suggestions on what to use and what I should be careful about??

Trevor Ives

Cleantalker Veteran
Parquet flooring.
Is it genuine wood block floor 1 1/2" thick?
Is it veneered 1/4" thick on wood sheet?
Is it veneered 1/16" thick on wood sheet?
Is it plastic lookalike?
Has it got a bare finish?
Has it got a polish finish?
Has it got a
lacquer finish?
Has it got a varnish finish?
Has it got a plastic emulsion finish?
Is it relatively clean?
Is it very dirty?
Is it gruesome?

Reactions: 1 user

Paul White

Cleantalk Member
From my own personal experience I have found most people that have asked me to quote them for "cleaning"
a wood floor actually need it sanding & refinishing. They are sometimes I think deluded in thinking that if they ask for "cleaning" or "polishing" it will somehow be cheaper. Usually the finish has failed and soil is ingrained in the wood with wet cleaning exasperating the problem as it will open up the grain and help more soil build up.
When I tell them that we would need to sand & refinish it there is rarely any shock..because they knew that anyway! Similar types call asking for a carpet "freshen-up" as somehow they have it in their mind it will be cheaper than cleaning.

• Agreed
Reactions: 1 user

Gary Richard Coles

Cleantalk Member
Fairly new to wood myself but as above I'd say it's unlikely a "clean" will achieve the results the customer wants.

With wood cleaning it is really to maintain a finish. You would really need to know the type of finish and the brand so you can use that manufactures cleaning product to clean/maintain the current finish.

If they are just looking for a "freshen up" I know people have achieved good aesthetic results using TM shield from Tilemaster after the clean. I've never used it myself so wouldn't want to comment on its effectiveness but I'm sure if you called Martin or Alex at Tilemaster than can talk you through pros and cons and method.

Hope thís helps.

Jim McPhail

Cleantalk Member
Thanks for the comments, and questions. Not letting me upload photo will try later. Its the entrance to a hotel and is very old with no one knowing when anything was last done. They do not want it sanded etc as they want to keep the "distressed" look. In fairness its not that bad so some of Solution cleaner as above and a light buff withy a zorbpad should keep them happy, although I did suggest waiting until spring as we have a lot of snow with salt on the door steps.

Raymond Thwaites

Cleantalk Member
I found that as it’s really hard wearing flooring it can withstand a lot, I’ve recently cleaned one and late last year sanded and varnished one. Safe to say the later took longer and looked great, the old saying is “you get what you pay for!”

Daniel Nailor

Cleantalk Member
@Raymond Thwaites do you mind if I ask what your pricing was to sand and re-seal?
I’ve just quoted a parquet floor that was in quite poor condition. It needed sanding, filling and re-lacquering.
it was 50m2, so I allowed 2/3 days at a cost of £60m2.
I wonder if my price was correct?

Paul White

Cleantalk Member
I don't know what Raymond charged Daniel but I could get the job at £35 p/m and make money out of it. £1750, so £250 for consumables including two-part premium commercial finish, £300 for my edge man/assistant. So that's £1200 gross for three days..sand & fill the first, sand, apply primer and a top coat of finish the second, light key and final coat by about 1000 am the third. They are easyish days for two people and if it was more than ten miles away we'd do it in two days.

If you manage to get that job and then a second at £60 p/m Daniel I need to get on the A3 and come talk to you and maybe buy you a few beers!

Daniel Nailor

Cleantalk Member
I don't know what Raymond charged Daniel but I could get the job at £35 p/m and make money out of it. £1750, so £250 for consumables including two-part premium commercial finish, £300 for my edge man/assistant. So that's £1200 gross for three days..sand & fill the first, sand, apply primer and a top coat of finish the second, light key and final coat by about 1000 am the third. They are easyish days for two people and if it was more than ten miles away we'd do it in two days.

If you manage to get that job and then a second at £60 p/m Daniel I need to get on the A3 and come talk to you and maybe buy you a few beers!
Thank you for your honest response. Maybe I was over doing it on the price, but I wanted to make it worth while.
I didn’t get the job (no surprise), but I’ve now learned a valuable lesson.