Pre 1958 Rug Identification

Discussion in 'Rug Cleaning Issues' started by Gary iliffe, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Gary iliffe

Gary iliffe Member

Advertisements:
    Evening all.
    I'm cleaning 3 80/20 carpets for a lady in Essex who has asked me to clean her rug.she acquired it in 1958 "when it was some years old" and says she has never had it cleaned.tests showed it to be wool with cotton frills(some damaged, already told her I won't be touching these).test showed no dye transfer so I'm happy to undertake the work.its not actually dirty but her house is immaculate so I think she just wants it freshened up.
    My question is has anyone come across one of these before?she believes it to be Turkish but I told her I would investigate.
    There's no backing to it just a fainter reverse pattern.

https://imageshack.us/my/images

2. John Bolton

John Bolton Admin

Gary,

The link does not point to your image.

Based on what is known, subject to standard testing the rug should present no particular problems - it sounds like a fairly standard woven rug.

But why not improve the fringe? Did young Derek not cover this in training?

3. Gary iliffe

Gary iliffe Member

Hmmmm.not sure why that didn't upload.ill try again.In fairness I'm probably being overly cautious with the fringe, there is rather a lot of damage to it but what is there appeared structurally sound.i emailed a picture & my intended method over to derek & he didn't forsee any issues. I don't generally do many rugs & the age of the item made me a little wary with the fringe but yes I'll rethink & have a go.as I say it's generally rather clean so a thorough vac with the sebo, M Power & a mitt was my plan with Final Phase rinse

4. John Bolton

John Bolton Admin

Gary,

If you are worried about the fragility of the fringe you can give it a dose of M'P, put it in a nappy sandwich and tamp well. Then spray with Crystal Rinse, then extract through a fresh towel.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gary iliffe

Gary iliffe Member

Many thanks john, I'll give this a try

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice