Pricing quibble

Jon Gardner

Cleantalk Member
Afternoon, all.
We've had a customer dispute our pricing last week, despite sending a transparent breakdown of costs etc.
Without wanting anyone to reveal their prices on the forum, if anyone could PM me what they might charge for the following, it would help get back to the customer with some points of comparison.

Thank you in advance...

The job was limestone tiles, average condition:
Utility room 2.6 x 1.5 m2
Kitchen 2m + 1.3 + 1.3 x 1.6 m2
Dining room 5 x 2.6 m2
Study 2.4 x 3.1 m2
Hallway 1.5 x 4.4 m2
Toilet

Application of single coat of industry standard seal to all floors cleaned (as a top up)

Jacob Ward

Cleantalker Veteran
Jon
I was talking to somebody about pricing a hard floor saturday.
He went by the tile master quoting guide.

ironically I was spot on with my job price VS m2

Perhaps that is a good benchmark price to go by....

J

Jon Gardner

Cleantalk Member
I quite agree with you all, and we had gone down the route of TM pricing.

It was a million pound house as well. Classic.

Re: itemising. I guess it's horses for courses - often I do this for transparency. It just feels like providing a clear overview of what they are getting for their money makes the "list" of work longer.

Andrew Evans

Cleantalker Veteran
Hi Jon I echo what has been said before and above, I found this issue with hard floors and with all due respect to Tile Master I found it got worse once they entered the Market.

This is why I no longer do hard floors other than tile and grout, when I did stone I would either price a day rate plus materials or at £20 a sq mtr.

But I would have used diamond pads and an impregnating seal and would have cleaned one day and returned the next day to seal.

If it was a maintenance clean and I am assuming it had been sealed with an impregnating seal then just the day rate plus a bit for a fine diamond pad and seal.

So in the first scenario around £700 to £800 in the second scenario around £350 to £400.

But none of that is relevant as it is your business and you charge what you need to charge also if the price has been agreed and signed off then they have no cause to complain.

This is one reason I don't touch stone anymore, more profit and less stress and aggro with carpet and upholstery, stay strong and don't budge as they are in my opinion trying it on.

Trevor Ives

Cleantalker Veteran
I had this a few years ago with a construction/renovation company.
4000 sq mt of office carpet could only be done LM and after 9.30 at night.
I quoted £4.50 / mt which was quite good for those times.
Did the job which was 5-7 floors up in a secure building where only one door was allowed to be open at a time with no outside access.
After the job was done successfully I( was told they would only pay 85p/mt as that was what local TM folk were charging.) They would not be able to do the job because of access.
After several solicitors letters they eventually paid up
I got my 18 grand.

Trevor Ives

Cleantalker Veteran
Job was a nightmare 120 miles away and three of us.
The main entrance was two sets of sliding doors. Only one could be opened at a time, the security desk was in front of you as you went in. Every door had a card reader with red light and buzzer on it. If the door was open for more than ten seconds all hell broke loose and main desk was informed. A notionally known telecoms company by the Stadium in Cardiff.
The carpets had not been cleaned since installation 20 years before.

Steve Fellows

Cleantalk Member
I have had this also on a really big job. ( it was for the world headquarters of an industrial plant manufacturer. I'm sorry I have a cold and need some tcp!) Actually they are really good employers along the old school lines of Cadbury rowntrees. But.

They said that they were happy with the work that I had done . Their previous 3 cleaners had to be called back for a full reclean but they were happy with mine.
They only clean when the prime minister or prince Charles visits. (800 meteres long and 6 feet wide) but have been informed that their enquiries told them that the going rate was 500 quid less than I charged.
I was very recently and bitterly separated after 22 years of marriage so told them that my ex wife would do it for 500 less, she has no training nor equipment and will make a mess of it, blame me and then get me to go do it again for 500 quid more.

The guy said, fair point. And paid up.
Repeat business too