Rcd Plugs

Paul Watchorn

Cleantalk Member
Funny you should say that. In the last week, two of mine stopped working. seems like I have to replace them about once a year.

John Bolton

Cleantalker Veteran
As you know Steve, I carry 3 on the van and the ones you saw about 5 years ago are still in use.

I test them before every use and as long as they consistently pass first time I will continue to use them. I think I paid about £14.00 each.

Paul Watchorn

Cleantalk Member
I'm no electricial engineer, but I was assuming it was down to to amount of current etc passing through the the unit?

Neil Worsnop

Cleantalk Member
An electrical circuit should send as much current back to the source, the plug for our needs, as it sends to the equipment being powered. If leakage occurs then that could be electricity going through somebody or something and to ground rather than back through the plug.

So a difference of, from memory, 30mA will cause the RCD to function for safety. It should happen faster than you will take to die from electrocution.

Steve Porter

Cleantalker Veteran
That is very reassuring to know Neil, I only intend on dying once so if I can put it off for a while then that's a good thing?! LOL

Paul
My RCD's kept tripping on the first job just by pushing the "test" button on (machine was switched off), wouldn't let me even turn them both on?!
I managed to find out that the circuit that my auto pump out was on had become damaged during cleaning it out at the weekend (okay, I dropped the waste tank on its side, my fault!!) & I thought nothing of it.1 new little part later & all's good, I'm just thankful for RCD's as without them I don't know what damage I could have done?

Jevgenijs Silovs

Cleantalk Member
RCD are great, many equipment manufacturers highly recommend using them.
This tool prevent electrical risks = saves our customers property.

I have bought mine at Maplin store, was using for two years and still working.

Mark Sutcliffe

Cleantalk Member
have them at b&q, maplin...

I have one replacing the plug on my extension lead...

I have to have my 3kw heater going through a separate circuit, as the new builds round here are mostly 220v

I'm yet to trip anything but the rcd reassures me

Paul Watchorn

Cleantalk Member
I know the whole point of an RCD is to prevent the use of an iffy supply. However Mark, I can tell you that one day you will be wishing you hadn't replaced your 13 amp plug with the RCD. It cuts down your options when you have a particularly sensitive property.
Also, they don't last forever. They need replacing. One day they work, the next not. Then you have to fiddle about fitting a new one on site.