Reassurance needed

Chris powell

Cleantalk Member
Hi all
Been asked to clean a handmade wool rug from Turkey.
No labels at all.
The customer is on holiday so I haven't been able to view it myself.
The customer has sent some photos.
The large stain is dog pee.

My plan was a full vac, warm m-power and final phase rinse with a speed dry.

It's quite old and worn in places but means a lot to the customer approximately.

Iv explained about the urine and managed her expectations and she's happy to go ahead.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks Chris

Attachments

John Bolton

Cleantalk Team
With a severe staining such as this it often pays to pre-treat the stain with Final Phase at de-browning dilution and allow an extended dwell prior to dry extraction. Then apply M-Power Spotter.

Then proceed as planned.

Reactions: 1 user

Carl Sands

Subscriber
Hi Chris,

Looks like wool on wool (wool warp and weft), so will tolerate a fair amount of moisture.
With that in mind you can thoroughly wet the dog pee staining. I tend to acidify m-power (20 mls in a litre is a good starting point) for this task and allow a substantial dwell - a few hours. Though you must ascertain the damage caused by the urine and if it has rendered the dyes mobile. As uric crystals form the staining turns alkaline and can burn the wool. The crystals are also 'wet' - they draw moisture from the air. Because of this the dyes can seep locally. You must qualify this with your client as you may reveal more damage as you clean!

Is that fringe or selvedge unravelling?

Carl

Chris powell

Cleantalk Member
Thanks chaps

Theres a lot of wear on the finges and to some sections.

John when you say apply m power spotter after the debrowing do I rinse the spotter with final phase then move onto m power and dwell ?

John Bolton

Cleantalk Team
Chris,

M-Power and M-Power Spotter are happy to work under acidic conditions so rinsing between is not required though some dry extraction to reduce moisture content prior to the M-Power Spotter will reduce the dilution effect. A minimum of 10 minutes dwell will greatly enhance the stain reduction.

John Bolton

Cleantalk Team
PS.
Remember your training - clean with a hand tool to concentrate power, not a 12" wand, though it is acceptable to go over with a wand to pile-set and remove tool marks.

Eddie Prudhoe

Cleantalk Member
Great advice from all of the above, im new to this forum & also world of clean chemicals. I ordered the tester set and I must say very impressed. I'll be making a big order soon. Just watch your heat also been to jobs where previous cleaners have used to much heat on wool and damaged it. How long gas the urine been there the longer it's been down the harder to remove.

• Agreed
  • Thanks
Reactions: 4 users

Robert Aigin

Cleantalk Member
Hi Chris
This is not Turkish.
It looks like an Indian needlepoint to me or it might be a Portuguese needlepoint as it looks to have a jute not wool weft.
Good luck getting that stain out, I think there’s little chance.

• Agreed
Reactions: 2 users

Chris powell

Cleantalk Member
Just an update.

Extensive pre vac then treated with final phase at debrowing for 1 1/2 hours.

M power spotter treated for 1 1/2 hours then rinsed, I done this 3 times.

Customer was over the moon but I wasn't overly impressed.

Was I expecting too much ???

I flushed with final phase and dryed with my blowers.

She's already asked me to do more work for her which is great but I'm feeling a bit deflated

Attachments