Repetitive Strain Injury

David Hines

Cleantalk Member
Hi guys,
Just wondered if anyone has the same problem. Starting to get shooting pain just above my thumb on right hand. Not sure if its because of holding wand or not.
Anybody have the same issues?
David

Ian McIntosh

Cleantalk Member
Hi David
When I began 20 years ago I used an all-in-one machine which required me to pull machine backwards, whilst depressing button with thumb to operate the spray. Result - chronic tennis and golfer's elbow in both elbows. Took 4 years to get rid.
Make sure your technique does not involve squeezing the trigger hard for extended periods. Stop and stretch out the wrist and fingers at regular intervals. I use a Wonder Wand with roller which makes life a bit easier.

Paul Watchorn

Cleantalk Member
Remus is quite correct. I do find it quite amazing that that people that depend on their bodies to sustain an income don't do a few simple set of exercises each day, especially on the back.
When you look at how much loving care goes into peoples vans, it's a bit of a conundrum. Use the best oil, clean this filter wipe that out, all the best additives blah blah. Then go home, slouch around, fill the body up with toxins and, well I'm going to stop before I get carried away :nocomment:

David Hines

Cleantalk Member
So what your saying is, the reason why my hand/wrist hurts, is because I don't do any exercise and slouch around?

Steve Porter

Cleantalker Veteran
Didn't think you'd have been going long enough to get repetitive strain "injury"?!!! LOL

Technique has a lot to do with it as well, so many cleaners work the wand like it's a race, others almost fall over trying to over reach, others pull it back so far that their elbow is almost doing cartwheels & all whilst trying to strain that nice small muscle group above your wrist!
Twist, turn, flex, squeeze, the muscles & tendons won't like it for long
Smooth arm & straight wrist & remaining horizontal lets the body work more efficiently, wear a wrist support with a nylon shank if you're worried about RSI, it would certainly reduce you abusing the muscle group whilst it recovers

Paul Watchorn

Cleantalk Member
No I didn't mean that David. I shall be more careful how I phrase things in future.
I agree with Mark though, you should see a doctor. I went walking with my dad when I first moved to Yorkshire, he had a pain in the groin the next day. Went on for two weeks, saw the doc and passed away three days later.
You probably have RSI, I remember when I first started doing upholstery, my forearm used to kill after a few suites.

James Shepherd

Cleantalk Member
Hi David,
I can recommend the Westpack trigger for your wand, they have good feedback and a soft start to them.
We have retro fitted them to all of our wands now and kept the originals just for back up.
As a side note unless there is an issue with your existing trigger I would not normally expect this kind of problem.
What average PSI are you using?
Agreed with Paul when you are relying heavily on your body to sustain an income, muscle and sinew need good care and everything that goes with it.
The industry already has its fair share of early leavers due to related problems.

All the best

James.

David Mitcham

Cleantalk Member
Many years ago working and learning with uncle Ken , I had my first
Experience of using a rotary machine and despite Kens best efforts
In teaching me the correct way to operate said machine I went home with arms and wrists that were so stiff and sore . This was totally down to me and my technique of over gripping the machine as though my life depended on it .
A lesson learnt and it applys to all the different equipment we use day to day and then things like our body posture keeping your back upright and yes a glide really does help. I have also in the past had to have a steroid injection in the wrist from wanding prior to going with a glide.

Andrew Bines

Cleantalk Member
You should be able to use the wand trigger with one finger at a push, if you cannot replace it. I have had bad hands previously and it was due to an old valve and trigger.

Ken Wainwright

Cleantalker Veteran
Casting my mind back a few decades, an aching thumb, hand and wrist was something I encountered too.

My problem was that I was too tense and holding the wand too tight.

I found, to my delight, that by just resting the wand in my hand, and simply LIGHTLY squeezing the valves "trigger", keeping a straight back and drawing back the wand with one hand only made for a more relaxed and less strenuous technique. All of the hard work is done during the agitation and dwell stage, leaving the technician to merely rinse the carpet with the wand, not clean with the wand. On our Solution training courses and various workshops I've run over the years, too many techs will hold a wand with both hands and clean in a vigorous manner. It's not necessary.

Apart from a Teflon Glide, another bonus is to convert your wand with a "soft touch" valve. SO much easier on the hand and fingers than the traditional "P" and "K" valves. Speak to Nick about valves and conversions.
http://www.worldofclean.co.uk/carpet-cleaning-equipment/trigger-assemblies-valves-repair-kits/angle-valve-trigger-assembly.html

SAFE and happy rinsing:smile:
Ken

Jasbir Singh

Cleantalk Member
Threads like this make me think that investing in a rotovac or CX15 might be the way to go. Faster drying/less effort = more efficiency = more profit.