Risk Assessment & COSHH (or possibly COSSH!)

David Rogers

Cleantalk Member
Hi,

I was booked to clean an Autism Activity Centre and a 12 bedroom childrens home yesterday. The person booking me asked if I had a generic Risk Assessment and COSHH documents.

I've produced Risk Assessments with other commercial clients before, but it's always been led by them, along with me, usually before commencing the clean, or sometimes during the survey visit.

For this clean I recommended the organisation do a specific location and job based risk assessment which I'd happily co-operate with, to give a more specific and useful assessment (good cop out).

But for future occasions, does anyone have any suggested templates / formats / advice on producing a generaic risk assesment, and also anything on COSHH as not freyed into that territory before?

Many thanks,
David.

Nick Robertson-Vousden

Solution World of Clean
Hi

Always makes me laugh when you are asked to provide a generic risk statement, how can the risk be ascertained properly without a site survey and in put from the client, bloody EU nonsense, good old common sense should be used!!! rant over

Cossh is not so much an issue MSDS sheets for the solutions you intend to use and you should be fine

Best regards

Nick

Jim Donnelly

Cleantalk Member
Hi David, if you send me your email address I will send you some risk assessments I successfully submitted for a clean at a college of further education.

Regards

Jim

stephen scotter

Cleantalk Member
David
If someone asks you for a generic upfront Risk Assessment they don't know what they are talking about and it wouldn't be worth the paper its written on.

A R/A must be done onsite, if you employ than than five people it does not have to be written, but if its not how would you prove you have done one and customers may want to see a R/A before you start work.

CoSHH is not just about chemical usage, its about any substance that can be harmful to health, CoSHH does not cover Asbestos that has its own regulations.

You must carry your MSDS but doing so does not mean you are CoSHH compliant

Health and Safety Law was British long before it became a European Directive.

Steve

Nick Robertson-Vousden

Solution World of Clean
Stephen

Sorry can you explain your comment regarding MSDS, surely the information provided on them has a bearing on use, but would highlight anything in the cleaning solution that could be harmful to health, thats the whole point of them, ( isn't it?)

As to the risk assesment side of things it quiet surprising how many sites have not actual idea what they are for or what they mean, and many self employed people are not aware just how they are effected by health and safety regulations,

Best regards

Nick

Jay Wells

Cleantalk Member
Suggested templates here: http://www.hse.gov.uk/risk/casestudies/index.htm

The general office cleaning example is good, and also has links to layouts and templates.

RE - Solution Cornwall COSHH data sheets, can these be downloaded from the W.O.C. site anywhere?

Also, what is the stand on using 'own label' spotters?
They do not have a manufacturers address or details to obtain MSDS; do I need to supply them? or at least carry them?

(sorry for all my Q's! :hijacked: :wink: )

Nick Robertson-Vousden

Solution World of Clean
Hi Jay

They are your spotters so carry your address and details, we can supply the msds complete with your details, or with our own, you should at the very minimum carry one in case you are asked, although they can be emailed directly to your client by us if and when the need arises

Best regards

Nick

Ian Harman

Cleantalk Member
We carry both MSDS and COSHH sheets. My understanding is that the MSDS sheets refer to the product details but the COSHH sheets are there to show that you, as an operator, have considered what the risk to health may be and what you would need to do it about (remedial treatment) should a problem arise. Rather like a risk assessment - its shows that you just haven't chucked products in the van, printed of an MSDS sheet and forgotten the rest.

stephen scotter

Cleantalk Member
Nick
MSDS do explain first aid measures following exposure to chemicals being used, the point that I was trying to explain is:- when some people think of Control of Substances Harmful to Health (CoSHH) they think of chemicals and chemical exposure.

CoSHH covers all harmful substances, other than Lead or Asbestos (they have their own regulations) its easy to think that you won't come into contact with harmful substances but its very easy to come into contact with hazardous substances.

Ian
There are MSDS sheets not CoSHH sheets, there are CoSHH regulations, a CoSHH ACOP and CoSHH Risk Assessments.

Steve

Ian Harman

Cleantalk Member
Does that mean then Steve that although We have considered the risks and what action might be required we don't need to carry evidence that we have done so?

David Rogers

Cleantalk Member
Many thanks for all the great help and advice, will be checking it out this afternoon as I'm visiting and quoting tomorrow morning.

Cheers,

David.

stephen scotter

Cleantalk Member
Ian

You need to carry your MSDS on your van.

You do need to Risk Assess, but because you do not employ more than five people it does not have to be written and domestic carpet cleaning should be low risk.

But................

Should you carry out fire and flood restoration or commercial carpet cleaning it could be more hazardous, i.e. Abestos can be present in the properties or other hazardous substances.

You still don't need to R/A If you employ less than five people but then how would you prove you're R/A and commercial customers require a R/A.

If hazardous substances are present a CoSHH R/A would normally be required.

I hope this information is some help.

Steve

Ian Harman

Cleantalk Member
Thanks Steve, we carry the MSDS sheets on the van and have generic risk assesments for the bits and bobs that we do. We have COSHH R/A's printed and we also have method statements etc. Sounds like we are covered (hopefully).

Regards
Ian

stephen scotter

Cleantalk Member
Ian

Well done sounds like you are well covered by your safe systems of work.

Be careful there are people out there who would like to try and make a claim against hard working businessmen.

Steve

N

Natasha Smith

My advice is always be prepared! Carry data sheets on vehicles and keep in premises, have health and safety, COSHH etc. available and make sure you have a good health and safety policy that you can rely upon.

MSDA (material safety data sheets) also known as PSDA (Product safety data sheets) is a form of data regarding the properties of a substance and includes instructions for safe use - it is required to state the chemicals risks, safety and effect on the environment (Yes, Nick I agree with your EU comment!)

Martin has cleaned premises whereby the criteria is high and while all the data is required - talking it through with the client and the way you will handle the cleaning operation usually gives reassurance. Include things like safety, sealing off areas for safe practice and write a risk assessment and you shouldn't go far wrong. Your health and safety policy, if written well, should be open so that it will get you in most doors.

Check out - http://www.hse.gov.uk/simple-health-safety/write.htm

No doubt you have cleaned these premises now so look forward to you sharing your experience there and hopefully they have called upon you again.

Mark Lewis

New Cleantalker
Earlier in this post there has been confusion between a R/A and a H&S policy statement. A R/A does need to be written down if you have been asked to provide one. A H&S policy statement is only required to be written down and accessible to staff if you have more than 5 employees in your business. I know this is an old post but for anyone (like me) researching and looking for info in the forums it is worth putting this correction in.

• Agreed
  • Useful
Reactions: 2 users