Rotary training

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Bolton

Cleantalker Veteran
Jamie,

it is not a subject that justifies a formal course but if you buy new most suppliers will give you a brief introduction that is sufficient for you to practice at home.

Alternatively an experienced cleaner may take you onto a job and demonstrate and let you practice. I have taken out many myself and tehy always leave with basic competence.

Anyone within reach of Newcastle willing to help Jamie?

Ken Wainwright

Cleantalker Veteran
Jamie

You have just highlighted what has been lacking in our industry so much. It was this type of shortcoming that inspired Nick and myself to run our own training courses that included practical hands-on-the-tools training as an integrated part of an overall training package.

Like John above, I too had taken inexperienced technicians along to my own jobs to teach them the skills of machine handling. The difference now is that I am paid to do it :woohoo:

I've got a great life:chuffed:

Safe and happy cleaning:smile:
Ken

Jamie Thirtle

Cleantalk Member
I must admit john Kelly at restormate did give me a little introduction at his warehouse which was great but I think a full day of training and what to look out for when to change pads how much prespray ect would be a massive help and would be a pretty popular course

Jacob Ward

Cleantalker Veteran
As Ken has said...

Prespray application, pad choice and what to look out for are covered in the carpet cleaning course annyway.
As the critical points are carpet construction, soiling levels/type and correct chemistry, this is needed no matter what methods you employ to clean a carpet.

You could just buy an excentr 43 and you will learn it in 2 mins.
No stress and it floats along, it wont even run over it's own cable.

Why not come to one of the shows on over the next few weeks Jamie?

J

Dan Paton

Cleantalk Member
My rotary training was done with a second hand victor wolf on the kitchen lino with a wet pad by my missus years ago. She spent most of the time in laughter at me looking like i was attempting to control a wild horse. She had worked in a military hospital polishing floors for years so was an expert in how to handle one. I do remember thinking at first, I'm never going to get the hang of this but it soon clicks into place.

Andrew Evans

Cleantalker Veteran
Hi Jamie I think fear has taken over. They are very simple to operate. You just have to remember you dont steer them.

Find the balancing point roughly your midriff keeping the machine close. Gently and slowly either lift or drop the handle to go either left or right. Only slightly though then just walk with it in straight lines.

When you do a course for hard floors or lm carpet cleaning you will pick it up in a few minutes.

If you buy one just ask the person or company and they will show/teach you.

If need be pop down to cambridge and I will show you.

More importantly is getting the speed and weight right for the appropriate surface.

Other than that go for an oscillating machine. Floormac klindex maxima orbit the exentra or the square ones.

They are super easy to use and to be honest do a great job. Ask Eamon or Nick.

I am sure they would cover this on their hands on section of training.
Hope this helps
Andrew

Jamie Thirtle

Cleantalk Member
To be honest it's not how to use the machine that's the easy part.. it's everything else that's involved like how and when to rinse the pads... what pads to use how much prespray to put down and how big of area to spray.. how to avoid swirling ect

Eamonn OConnor

Cleantalk Member
To be honest it's not how to use the machine that's the easy part.. it's everything else that's involved like how and when to rinse the pads... what pads to use how much prespray to put down and how big of area to spray.. how to avoid swirling ect
What you have described is covered in our carpet cleaning training course. Unfortunately the carpet cleaning element of our next course is fully booked but am sure we can get you booked on to the next one.

Kevin Wilding

Cleantalk Member
Jamie i'm the same as you, very little in the way of training up in the northeast of England.

I already run my own mobile valeting and carpet cleaning business and don't have time to take 2/3 days away and travel 800 mile round trip, I know it might benefit me in the long run but I just simply can't do it, 1 day local yes!

I've never struggled up to now but I don't have floor scrubbers etc just the cleaning machine!

There is lots of info on the internet, just need to research, which I find more appealing as I can do it after work, also can't beat hands on!

I'm from Sunderland btw Jamie, nice to have someone localish.

Ken Wainwright

Cleantalker Veteran
Before I "retired", I ran, independently from Solution, a hands-on Low Moisture carpet cleaning course up in Birmingham. A charity client had a conference centre that I used to clean so I offered to clean it free of charge and earned my keep by charging students to come and do it for me under my supervision. It worked really well and everyone was happy.

The problem with running this sort of hands-on course is finding premises suitable to allow several trainee technicians enough carpet and time to be able to work for long enough to gain the "refined experience" being sought. To be viable, we're probably looking at about 500sqM minimum.

Inevitably, although Solution training is regarded by many as the best available, with this discipline, we have to compromise. Technique is taught, demonstrated and skills practiced by all students. Not just on using a rotary for two bonnet cleaning techniques but also with an OP machine and a CRB for dry compound. The CRB technique, as used for dry cleaning and agitating pre-sprays, can also be used for encap cleaning too. This is why Solution Carpet Cleaning Training is 50% longer than that required by the NCCA and other training providers.

Nick and I have discussed continuing this type of commercial carpet cleaning course and I have approached businesses with suitable premises without any joy. I've even written a course and manual on the subject. Sadly, large office type premises are few and far between down here, unlike when I was in the Midlands.

Safe and happy cleaning:smile:
Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.