Rudest customers?

Jannine Valentine

New Cleantalker
My customers are generally really nice. But I just wanted to hear other people's experiences of rude customers? One of my bugbears though is people phoning or messaging and assuming you can fit them in right there and then or the next day. I literally just had someone message, after 4pm, on a Friday, asking if I can go to them now. I also had someone that said she wanted a regular clean, but then changed it to as and when without being clear about it, which is fine I guess... but then booked and cancelled on a Friday, then called me up early on a Saturday morning asking me to clean. I also had someone who didn't answer the door or their phone, so I was messed about in between customers, then later messaged me expecting me to return to their home in the evening. Lol.

Ken Wainwright

Cleantalker Veteran
Welcome to the world of a service business Jannine.

When you are attracting new clients with a marketing programme, you will inevitably experience this sort of thing. The lower your prices, the worst it seems to be.

For myself, I had worked to put myself in a fortunate position whereby I didn't advertise. Every new enquiry I would visit and carry out a comprehensive survey and submit a quotation. I worked to MY standards and MY schedule and all at a moderately high but fair price. Sales conversions were high.

You are going to find that people will be contacting you 24/7 Not expecting you to answer at 3.00am in the morning, but leave you a message/voicemail to be returned the following (working) day. It's your choice to answer out of hours or not.

As a new start-up, IMO, you need to be just as firm and take control so that customers fit into your schedule. If you don't, you may be forever chasing your tail. You are a business woman first and foremost and not anybody's friend.

Safe and happy cleaning:smile:
Ken

PS :welcome:

pete ashton

Cleantalk Member
The domestic cleaning market is particularly bad for this, I am lucky enough to be a good position workwise. If a customer becomes unreasonable or just plane rude I drop them and pick up a new with in a couple of days. Respect and manners cost nothing and they are something everyone should be given, no matter if you clean toilets or own an international multi million company.
Set your guidelines as Sir Ken has suggested and the rest will follow.

Paul White

Cleantalk Member
I remember a cc in the States once said to me "if you market to s__t you will get sh_t all the time, If you market to homes with a three car garaaage you rarely get any but you will get some now and again". As Ken and Daniel have mentioned it is all about positioning.

Dan Paton

Cleantalk Member
If someone's rude on the phone, i end the conversation immediately. If it's in person i walk. If it's a text then i ignore it.
If its a booking that's a messer changing dates or a no show, they need to pay the full amount in advance to get rebooked.
Life's too short to get stressed over them. Just be ruthless.

Nathan Gale

Cleantalk Member
best lessons I’ve learned:

1. Trust your instincts

2. Don’t be afraid to say no to a customer for anything, whether it be an extra sofa or a certain day or when they request a refund because their mates cleaned it with a vax instead.

3. Don’t take people messing you aboutJust cancel them and block them, will improve your mental health.

4. Gain confidence and stick to your guns , people will try anything for a refund or a new sofa, new carpet the lot. If you’re confident and have proof, let them chase you and waste their time.

5. Don’t answer a phone call at 4am, you won’t get the job by telling them where to go

6. Nobody is your mate, don’t discount anything. They won’t get you extra work no matter how much they promise.

Andrew Evans

Cleantalker Veteran
I have had a few, never worked for them again. Like others have said putting my prices up and not being eternally grateful for a scrap thrown my way, has meant I don't clean many dirty carpets and all my clients are great.

Best to sort them out before you work for them, if they are a pain before you start then imagine what they would be like whist you are there or finished.

Paul White

Cleantalk Member
I do agree Dave, but TBH probably better to have not let them get on your back in the first place. I remember a song line though, better to have loved and ditched than not have loved at all, so who knows.

Andrew Evans

Cleantalker Veteran
It’s a great feeling when you sack a customer, it’s like a great weight has been lifted off your back.
I have had a couple and even blocked their number. Which is ok until the slippery sods use a different phone 😆

I ended up having to be blunt, the worst one though was a daughter of a customer. Absolute nightmare.

Never did that job, she said my quote was too high as she had been given a quote for her own house and they were a professional company with a 4 step process.

After that the conversation went south very quickly. Oh and I had never heard of her so called professional company either.