Rug, Wool/cotton Loop Pile

Discussion in 'Rug Cleaning Issues' started by Nicola Greenland, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Nicola Greenland

Nicola Greenland Member

Advertisements:
    Hi folks. This is my first post so please be gentle!.... this is my living room rug, id like to clean it but not sure of the best way and hoping you can help.... It’s 80% wool 20% cotton, made in India, one of the corners is coming apart so I had look at construction, looks like all wool or mostly wool, loop pile face with a woven cotton back glued on for stength. It’s a very flat face pile but delicate cos of the big loops, I have to take care with domestic vac, It was quite expensive and I still love the design but it’s looking tired so wouldn’t be too devastated if I trashed it though Id rather not. Thanks folks

Attached Files:

2. John Bolton

John Bolton Admin

Nicola,

What equipment/training do you have?

The secondary backing is easily fixed with latex adhesive available from most DIY outlets and craft shops.

3. Nicola Greenland

Nicola Greenland Member

Hi John, Trained with Ken this year.... carpet, upholstery & spot & stain, only just bought van and equipment so just starting to practice on my own house, bought a bundle of used kit which is all in good order .....Airflex storm 800, Host CRB, Sebo BS36 with all the accompanying bits and bobs, Just aim to do part time domestic to fit around the kids for now.

4. John Bolton

John Bolton Admin

OK then:

When vacuuming that rug, always work from side-to-side rather than end-to-end as this will stress the loops less. repair the loosened secondary backing a couple of days before the clean, then you are less likely to rip some off when back-dusting.

M-Power would be the ideal cleaning agent as not only will it clean well but will leave the pile soft. If You have the gold brushes for your Host machine then it should be OK for agitating ( again side-to-side), otherwise use a soft brush such as a tampico.

Extract with Final Phase or H2O2 in-tank via a hand tool. Don't try to rush the job and extract as dry as posible. Speed-dry with fan or air mover.

• Agreed Agreed x 1
  5. Nicola Greenland

Nicola Greenland Member

Many thanks John, Yes I always vac the rug gently from side to side, I will agitate gently with a brush rather than CRB and I was already thinking M Power and Final Phase. Glue is on it's way! :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice