Seal question

Daniel Nailor

Cleantalk Member
On a natural stone floor (eg limestone) how long should a seal last before being reapplied?
Deep cleaning with a product like groutblaster or similar would remove a topical seal wouldn’t it?

Any help with this appreciated

Mair Hunt

Cleantalk Member
Limestone should preferably be sealed with an impregnator, water or solvent depending on tightness of the stone. Normally up to 2 years with an impregnator. With a topical seal, it depends on which one was used :smile:

• Agreed
Reactions: 1 users

Andrew Evans

Cleantalk Member
If you are cleaning a limestone floor with a topical seal then you need to remove all of the seal otherwise it will look patchy and pants when you re apply another seal, it will show through.

That said a Limestone floor should have an impregnating seal which sits just below the surface of the stone.

Mair types faster than me and I agree with what she writes except an impregnating seal will last much longer than 2 years as it sits below the surface and doesn't get worn off.

I am not sure about grout blaster but high alkalines will strip a topical seal, acids shouldn't be used on limestone.

Reactions: 1 user

Daniel Nailor

Cleantalk Member
The customer has self applied a topical seal to his limestone floor.
They asked me to clean it (no mention of seal).
I cleaned it and it looked great.
He’s now suggesting I cleaned off his seal.....
I advised that he probably needed to reapply a seal after a few years anyway and that I just did what he requested.

Andrew Evans

Cleantalk Member
Oh I see, well it is possible, but there again you would have seen it come off if you had. There would have been some slurry of some sort.

Topical seals wear off and infact most cleaning products are not neutral so there is every chance his own cleaning regime will have damaged the seal.

I dont know what ph groutblaster is so cannot comment. Ask him how he cleans the floor. With a bit of luck he will say a steamer in which case Bingo that is the cause. If he uses a solution that is at all alkaline then tell him that is what is damaging the seal.

Dont get sucked into re sealing, to be honest you should have explained this before starting. But it is an inappropriate seal for the tile.

Good luck hope it goes well.

• Agreed