Selection Of Rugs Advice

Josh Dean

Cleantalk Member
Hi, come out to quote on 3 x wool rugs, 1 Afghan with no label, a distressed ricoco 100% wool and a tufted 100% wool with cotton backing. I was thinking Afghan I would usually leave alone as only offer HWE but she just wants a freshen up. So I've seen you can offer LM encap with fusion clean? Is this simply mist on light agitation and return to vac day after? And with the other 2 remaining rugs I was thinking m power mist pre spray with acidic rinse. (concerned about browning on the larger rug) If there's any recommendations for a better method that be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

Robert Tarjani

Cleantalk Member
Josh you wouldn't have no browning with M Power. These are pretty simple to clean if there is no dye bleed. Dust/ vac very thoroughly, mist with M Power or apply M Power with hand mitt, brush in gently , bit more agitation with hand mitt and towel off. They should come up excellent.

Ken Wainwright

Cleantalker Veteran
It's not clear from the rugs or the labels, but the first picture of the grey rug, do you know the pile fibre?

The two patterned rugs (wool?) should clean fine with rinse extraction using a hand tool, subject to testing, but the other has an appearance similar to a few viscose rugs I've come across.

You need to know or test to find out exactly what the fibres are in all cases.

Safe and happy cleaning:smile:
Ken

Steve Porter

Cleantalker Veteran
Josh
Which one is the Afgan?!

Can't see one there that i wouldn't thoroughly rinse extract. Don't "mist" M Power, your results will be limiting to the face fibre only. Fusion Clean if they're barely soiled but I wouldn't worry too much about using a normal amount of pre-spray. T

Josh Dean

Cleantalk Member
Ken it says 100% wool (grey one) on the label. but does have a viscose look/feel. I'll have to do further testing. The 2nd picture she says is an Afghan rug, but no label. Thanks

Ken Wainwright

Cleantalker Veteran
Here's an indicator but not a scientific test, Josh. You do this at inspection stage before you clean.

Viscose will retain approximately 3 times more of it's weight in atmospheric moisture than wool. So if you have the two rugs side by side, the viscose rug will feel much cooler than wool or synthetics.

The sheen on the grey rug is indicative of viscose but it can also be from a chemical treatment used on wool such as "silk washing". Doesn't normally create any problems for correct cleaning.

Safe and happy cleaning:smile:
Ken