Slide and Hide horror

Christina Daniel

Cleantalk Member
I'm looking for some kind words to make me feel just a little bit better about the Neff Slide and Hide horror that happened today... Got the door off fine flipping the catches with a screwdriver and twisting the slots with the coin. Even got the door back on fine once. But then a part pinged off, and I thought it was from inside the sliding mechanism so took the door off again (turned out it was nothing to do with the mechanism, is was just a rubber bung for the door close up on the top of the oven). Second time round, the back bar had slid to the back so brought it forward into position, engaged it under the latches. But when the door went back on, it kept snagging ever so slightly on the bottom of the oven when opened and closed. No amount of repositioning would sort the problem. In the end I had to give up. Thankfully customer was very understanding and reckons his son will fix it, but now I am totally freaked out by those evil slide and hide doors!!! What have I done wrong? I'm terrified of them now.

Daniel Burt

Cleantalk Member
I've spoken to a couple of service engineers who think they're just a little awkward and badly designed. To be honest, I never take them off unless it's a real shambles between the glass.

Christina Daniel

Cleantalk Member
Yes, awkward and badly designed are the words which spring to my mind too! Unfortunately for me, I really did have to split it due to a spillage the customer got between the panels. Otherwise would not have even gone there.

Duncan McIver

Cleantalk Member
Unlucky, I no longer take them off, I have had lots of problems in the past .older models are the worst although I came across a new model today that was unbelievable ,how it has been manufactured.
Team up with an engineer who will come to your rescue in times like this

Ken Walsh

New Cleantalker
I`ve stopped doing these Nef ovens there a pain. Its just not worth the hassle cleaning them taking the door and glass off. I had a customer on the phone today as soon as she said NEF under oven door. I said I will not be taking door off.Id sooner loose the job than spend all day sorting the door/glass out

Reactions: 1 user

Steven Johnson

Cleantalk Member
How weird I was originally put off doing them as the 1st one I did the roller fell apart. However I now love them find them really easy to do off and on in 5 mins.

Stick with it dont let one bad experience put you off

• Agreed
Reactions: 1 user

Christina Daniel

Cleantalk Member
Steven and Neil, is there something you now do to ensure the roller does not disappear to the back? I'm not sure how it happened. Would be good to know how to prevent this/fix it if it does happen again. Thanks!

Paul W Johnson

Cleantalk Member
I think it's all about getting the angle of the handle right.
Use your thumbs to push up slightly while lifting the door.
It's easier putting it back on as you can see the cam moving into the right position.

• Agreed
Reactions: 1 users

Steven Johnson

Cleantalk Member
Hi christina,

Yes I would agree with paul it's all about the angle of the handle. Use your thumbs it does not need much movement at all to get them off. As you put them on look down the side you can see its straight which makes it easier to line up. Dont give up as they are pretty easy once you master them.

Steve

Christina Daniel

Cleantalk Member
I think I get it now... Thanks all for your help. So if you remove the door without the handle pulled up into exactly the right position, think that is what caused it to ping off the back roller. I'll pay extra care to getting the handle angle right next time. Like you say, once you know how, they will be easy.

Paul W Johnson

Cleantalk Member
Exactly, it's all in the small movement of the handle.
Not pushing it up would put a little pressure on the locating lugs and would ping the bar backwards.
When you are putting the door back on rather than rush and breath once it's on, take a little time to see what goes where and how the mechanism works.
Once the doors off its a lot easier to understand how it works.
Good luck.

Steven Johnson

Cleantalk Member
Hi Christina,

Yes if you are not lifting the handle slightly that will cause you a problem. Honestly once you have mastered them you will be surprised how easy they are to do.

Let us no how you get on

Mike Cocks

Cleantalk Member
Even with the instructions and looking at posts I’m still struggling to understand the workings of these oven. There must be somewhere to go and have a play with them?

Christina Daniel

Cleantalk Member
Mike, this video from Roots Kitchens and bathrooms explains the process the best of any I've found. Have a look...
Hope this helps. But like everyone says, if you don't lift the handle up enough when lifting off the door, the back bar pings off and rolls to the back of the oven. Even happens to the guy in the video! :lol:

• Agreed
Reactions: 3 users

Billy Marsh

Dedicated Cleantalker
Hide and slide what a great way to charge more ! I' say more time more money . Nice to have a tough one tho ! Things don't always go back with out a jiggle . Will smith got jiggy with it !