Speed of tank filling

Kevin Kirk

Cleantalk Member
Hi all -
My WFP set up is RO tank in garage which I then pump in to a delivery tank in the back of our various vans.
Its taking around 7-8 hours to fill the RO tank from the outside tap (its a 350ltr XLINE Systems RO tank).

I appreciate water pressure etc may make a difference - but does this seem a long time? If so - what sort of pump can be fitted to speed up this process?

Thanks

Trevor Ives

Bathams Moderator
Cleantalk Team
You could fit a carpet machine pump to give 100 psi or more. Then you would need a level switch to shut it off when the tank was full.
I did this as out water pressure is about 35 psi. This then gave the option of recirculating the waste water to give a lot more from the original amount. I am on a meter.

Kevin Kirk

Cleantalk Member
Thanks Trevor - that sounds decent. The tank has an auto-cut off already built in so will take a look at what I can find.

Trevor Ives

Bathams Moderator
Cleantalk Team
I used a 120 psi Shurflo pump. I forget the figures but it would fill a 500 lt tank in well under 24 hrs.

John Bolton

Cleantalk Team
Kevin,

I am not a window cleaner so I may be completely wrong but I wonder if pumping water through the RO system at a higher pressure/flow rate might reduce the filtration efficiency.

Perhaps someone like @daniel paton with a greater knowledge of RO systems might advise on this.

Reactions: 1 user

Trevor Ives

Bathams Moderator
Cleantalk Team
From memory they will run quite happily up to 80-90 psi. My water pressure is around 30 hence the problem.
Also having a pump allows reuse of the water if you are on a meter.

Daniel Paton

Well-Known Cleantalker
It sounds like you may need a booster pump. Any wc supplier sells them.
The first thing to do is get a gauge and find out the psi coming out the tap. What GPD is your ro system?

Kevin Kirk

Cleantalk Member

This is what I have @daniel paton - I think the issue is low pressure from the mains. I've now read on their site (as they've updated it)! that the pressure needs to be above 60psi for it to fill properly.
Going to get the booster pump ordered tomorrow.

Daniel Paton

Well-Known Cleantalker
I would personally check the gallon per day of the system first before buying a booster pump. The likelyhood is that it is a booster you need but there's a possibility that you basically have a low gpd system and it takes forever to make pure water.
Their a bit like portable carpet cleaning machines. Some are a lot more powerful than others.
Check with x line before you buy a booster pump.

Reactions: 1 user