Sticky Residue

Trevor Acheson

Cleantalk Member
A customer got me to clean her shaggy pile rug as another CC cleaned it, gave it back wet and left a sticky residue on it. Gave it a good shake, beat it with traditional rug beater when hung on a rail, back dust, back dust and more back dust. Also went over it with crevice tool. Presprayed with M-power, dwell, agitated with hand mit and a light brush, extracted with stair tool and acid rinse then a light sorsp of Mpower. Been drying a few days and out today in the wind. Theres still a very very slight sticky residue when I run my hand through the rug. Would it be best to give it another clean?

Attachments

Steve Porter

Cleantalker Veteran
Hi Trevor
Some of these synthetic rugs can have a slight funny feel to them anyhow, not so much sticky but not as soft as you'd expect (cheap Dunelm rubbish)
Hot SPM, agitate & rinse straight away, if you went slightly overboard with Acid rinse that can leave a residue & to be honest, that rug doesn't need one now
Force dry as it should never take days to dry & should be dry in an hour or 2 even on a cold day!

Trevor Acheson

Cleantalk Member
Was an expensive rug customer said Steve. The previous cleaner somehow removed the label! Only used acid rinse as label says helps remove residues. I did force dry it once cleaned the rug until it felt dry and was just weary of any lurking deep dampness hence hanging it out. Always learning mate and thanks again. I'll give it a clean with hot SPM and let you know how it goes

John Bolton

Cleantalker Veteran
If SPM is not allowed a dwell time for the oxygenator to have an effect then you might just as well use one of the liquid microsplitters which have slightly less residue potential and will remove detergent residue just as well. Safe-4-Wool would be best choice, followed by Solution Standard.

Trevor Acheson

Cleantalk Member
Was wondering that about SPM John as thought it needed dwell time due to the oxygenater in it. Always learning and will use SPM. Cleaning is exciting!

Steve Porter

Cleantalker Veteran
SPM is simply a microsplitter in its powder form with an added oxygenater, like many products you don't need to use all of its chemistry to get the results you want but yes, any old microsplitter would do

Trevor Acheson

Cleantalk Member
Cleaned the rug with SPM last night, 15 minute dwell and force dry. This removed the very very slight sticky residue that remained on mate. Nice and clean and also soft and fluffy to please the customer. Thanks guys

Trevor Acheson

Cleantalk Member
Got a message from customer tonight. Regards first post above, I didn't mention but original CC left her rug smelling bad as well! Thankfully I removed it with my cleaning. She wants to know what type of air fresher could she use to keep it smelling nice until next clean. Would Natural Odour Neutraliser or Linen Fresh do the trick with 1 or 2 sprays over it. I know bit of a random one. Personally think it's in her head after getting her rug back wet and with a small and residue from previous CC

John Bolton

Cleantalker Veteran
Either product would serve but I would suggest that rather than spray the rug directly, she just occasionally uses a very fine horizontal spray from shoulder height and allows the mist to drift down onto the rug.

Any product repeatedly applied too heavily will build up with potentially unwanted results.

Trevor Acheson

Cleantalk Member
Thanks John. I'll certainaly tell her but doubt she will want to buy even a small quantity going by what she was saying to me. Nice customer and all that. I'd happily spray a mist over it for her if she likes as 1 minute will do it and pass her house every couple of weeks.