To use dip tank powder or not to use dip tank powder?

Chris T

New Cleantalker
Hi being a new oven cleaning business and wanting to be as eco friendly as possible I am torn between using dip tank powder or not.

The chemical that I am concerned with is Sodium Carbonate.

I did a Rangemaster clean today and I dipped the white speckled panels as usual and I think they did not come out as clean as when I did a job a few weeks back where the tank had powder in it.

Has anyone had any similar thoughts or experiences?

Many thanks.

Derek Dale

Cleantalk Member
I don't know of anyone not using some chemical in a dip tank although I wait to be corrected. I use caustic its a relatively small amount its bio degradable so in my opinion eco friendly enough. Customers want clean ovens. I have had a few ask about what I use in the house if they have breathing problems but never been asked about what is in the tank as its outside.

Reactions: 1 user

Chris T

New Cleantalker
Just to clarify a little, I use bio oven cleaner in the tank anyway but my understanding is that sodium carbonate though not as caustic as hydroxide does have caustic properties. I dont know if I need the carbonate to get a better result, today's clean without was fine bar the panels which though clean were not as bright. Not using carbonate would allow me to leave iron pan stands in the tank for longer in the hope of getting them cleaner?

Derek Dale

Cleantalk Member
Reading the original post I did think you only had water in. I find pan stands come up ok with short dip in caustic even commercial ones that are filthy. Albeit I may need to put them in for a short time then a quick scrub and possibly a further dip and scrub if they are very bad rather than leaving them in too long but they come up well and the caustic works better on enamel trays and shelves etc. So personally caustic works for me. Its one of those subjects that will be good to see what others use I think you will get a wide variety of answers.

Chris T

New Cleantalker
Update on this, I was able to place cast iron pan stands in the tank today and with the temp really high left them for a good hour, they came out well. There is no perfect answer as racks took more time to do I think, will have to see how the jobs pan out and prioritise.

Mohammed Al-Hagin

Cleantalk Member
Take time in the prep. Give them a scrape with a fresh blade prior to going in the tank. It will allow the chemical to do it's work more efficiently and the results will be better. Yes, it will add time but quality for a few extra minutes, in my opinion, is worth it.