Urine Jobs And Restoration Cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex Hamilton

Cleantalk Member
@Jared Long this has been the whole point of this thread. What I am trying to establish is where/how. you learn these skills. I of course have no intention of pulling up a carpet and leaving it for a customer like that. That's why I havnt bothered with any of these jobs so far....some cleaners would just go in and clean it charge the customer and that would be it but I don't believe in that I would rather offer a full service and know what I'm doing or not at all......
Also I'm trying to gauge if really it's the sort of work I could realistically carry out myself or not.

Mark Roberts

Solution World of Clean
The course I did for refitting was held at Solution, long time ago now, cant remember the instructor but Nick was hovering about as usual. I'm sure he do one again if asked and enough were interested.

There really isn't that much to it. I still do it weekly for insurance and retailers but normally try to avoid paying customers. Many people become psychologically convinced they smell something even when its gone so call backs are generally higher.

One of the best tricks for odour jobs when finished is to lightly spray the entrance door/frame of the room with a fragrance, the initial hit of a pleasant smell fools the nose and mind when they're desperate to smell anything in the days after.

If I were you Alex I'd get into leather cleaning as I know you like your upholstery.

Jared Long

Cleantalk Member
Alex it wasnt aimed at you.

Mark ive got to disagree with you saying there isnt much to it. Ive seen plenty of people claim they know how to fit and really they know very little. Yes a 2 day course may teach you minimal basics. Ive been fitting for 15years and never take anything for advantage.
Its a bit like saying carpet cleaning there isnt much too it. We'd all be jumping on that person for saying that. Its a hard trade to learn properly and if you need to deal with delamination im sorry but you really need to know what your doing:goodday:

Mark Roberts

Solution World of Clean
I get what your saying Jared, you can make it as complicated as you want, for the majority its going to be a case of pulling back then refitting an already fitted carpet and maybe a piece of underlay with treatment, something worth knowing for the cc trade in general for other spills. When quoting or starting if you see delamination/damage & you think its above your skills turn it down, pass it on or do a report for insurance replacement.

As said, I'd personally avoid it, horrible smelly jobs with carpets that are normally bleached and customers with wolf like sense of smells, I'd rather be cleaning items that hardly need cleaning :wink:

David Glassey

Cleantalk Member
Hello Alex, I am a trained fitter. I also seem to attract a huge amount of urine problems. Possibly because we check every carpet with a hydro sensor and or UV light before we clean.

Many years ago, no matter the size of the problem, I used to disengage every contaminated carpet, replace the underlay, treat the back of the carpet, re-install and finally treat the face yarn then clean as normal.

Now for 95% of urine contaminated work I just use my water claw. It cuts down the time involved & the cost for the client. We give a money back guarantee & have had no claims so it does an acceptable job.

What about the other 5%? If it's so bad that I have to lift it and replace the underlay, I recommend that the carpet is replaced.

Hope this helps. David.

Ken Wainwright

Cleantalker Veteran
Pulling a carpet back a little, cutting out and replacing underlay, then RELAYING a carpet is relatively easy(ish)

However, to lift a carpet, replace underlay as required and then REFIT is much more difficult. Just a centimetre out of alignment and it's a hellish job for the inexperienced.

For myself, I would perform minor pull-backs and re-lays, but anything more than the simplest of jobs I would bring in a carpet fitter and make sure I costed at a rate that would definitely make it worthwhile for him.

It's a two way thing too when you have a good working relationship with a good carpet-fitter. And decorator. And carpet retailer...........

Safe and happy urine extraction :smile:
Ken

Trevor Acheson

Cleantalk Member
Received a message. Someone had an accident at a party, human urine soaked through. Cushion is removable seated cushion. Haven't see it, only message received asking can I clean/remove smell as it's dried now. Looking guidance if get the job. Haven't a syringe but thinking inject prozyme plus into cushion to destroy the source of odour. After dwell spray with M power, another dwell and extract or would a water claw be better to use

Paul White

Cleantalk Member
The IICRC odour removal school is all theory Alex. The IICRC repair and reinstallation school was a lot of practical with some theory when I attended.

As has been eluded to, if it's not something you feel an urgent need to offer because you're losing tons of money by not doing so then pass these jobs by and keep focus on that exact known quantity that's generated when the wand is touching a carpet.

David McBroom

Cleantalk Member
@jacob ward yeah he is and yeah he would know how to do that I hadn't even thought of asking him though. We would probably end up in an argument :lol:
That being said he could show me how to lift the carpet but he could show me how to sort the problem out if there was one. That would be a job for an experienced cleaner wouldn't it.
Hi Alex, why not ask your partner, if he would be prepared to, do the lifting and re laying of the carpet etc, but obviously charging your customer accordingly .From experience,it's not the most pleasant job to tackle, and can be a thankless task.

Status
Not open for further replies.