Vanish stain on jute/sisal mix

Raitis Zile

Cleantalk Member
Hi everyone,

Looking on some views on this from those that have actually attempted to sort out scenario like this or those that have good technical explanation if this can or more likely can't be sorted.

Subject:
Rug - 64% jute, 36% sisal
Edge - 100% cotton
IKEA rug

Problem: Spilled pasta and tomato paste.

Owners solution: Vanish Oxi Action made light patches, by suggestion of someone else tea bags where used to darken light patches.

Result: Ugly light patches.

I personally never had chance to clean these so have no idea how something like this behaves on different solutions on different ph levels. Pictures lead me to believe that irreversible damage is already done by owner on this.

Right or wrong?
As always, greatly appreciate all the help. Screenshot_20200210-212917.jpg Screenshot_20200210-204931.jpg

Raitis Zile

Cleantalk Member
The question I would ask is...

Is there a profit in this job?
Not for customer for sure if charged as normal regardless of outcome with letting customer know the risks involved. Based on this customer said that will get new one.

Colin Nash

Cleantalk Member
Ask if you can have it, if they chuck it. Makes a great vacuum base when vacuuming the backs of rugs. Just shake it out after. Not as good as grids, but does the job.

Jake

Raitis Zile

Cleantalk Member
Ask if you can have it, if they chuck it. Makes a great vacuum base when vacuuming the backs of rugs. Just shake it out after. Not as good as grids, but does the job.

Jake
Clever, that was last thing I thought about after thinking to pick it up for chemical experimental purposes

Mike Sant

Cleantalk Member
Hi everyone,

Looking on some views on this from those that have actually attempted to sort out scenario like this or those that have good technical explanation if this can or more likely can't be sorted.

Subject:
Rug - 64% jute, 36% sisal
Edge - 100% cotton
IKEA rug

Problem: Spilled pasta and tomato paste.

Owners solution: Vanish Oxi Action made light patches, by suggestion of someone else tea bags where used to darken light patches.

Result: Ugly light patches.

I personally never had chance to clean these so have no idea how something like this behaves on different solutions on different ph levels. Pictures lead me to believe that irreversible damage is already done by owner on this.

Right or wrong?
As always, greatly appreciate all the help. View attachment 26008 View attachment 26007
Ikea rugs are notorious for cleaning issues, sparking from experience.

Paul White

Cleantalk Member
Spot on David Coker. That is all it's about. When the wand is on the carpet I'm making money. Playing with Ikea rugs I'm not (as much as I could be). Walk away from this sort of crap and ideally market to people that don't have them.

Ken Wainwright

Cleantalker Veteran
I've a different view with the low cost rugs to be cleaned issue.

It is not uncommon for a good (ie profitable) prospect or customer to need the carpets cleaned and also their cheapo rugs (I prefer to call them mats). If you don't clean the mats, you don't gain or you may lose the carpets.

I regarded the mats as part of my marketing costs in order to gain the work, whereas normally you pay to market but in this example you are being paid to market.

If I was required to clean a mat only, my minimum charge was applied.

Unlike "real" rugs, these mats just warranted a vac, pre-spray and a wand, just like the fitted carpets.

Safe and happy cleaning:smile:
Ken

Ken Wainwright

Cleantalker Veteran
Not as far as I am aware Anthony.

I class rugs as being the traditional higher value items that appreciate in value, and mats as something lower cost to cover the floor and depreciate.

Mats are an easy clean on site, rugs aren't