Vegetable dye

Simon J Richards

Cleantalk Member
We have been asked to clean some rugs that are made of wool, and vegetable dye, which the customer has said that the dyes can run . We would usually use m power, or fabric 8 to clean a wool carpet, rug . Also I have mentioned that we would need to do a test area first, but if the rugs were going to be a problem we would walk away from them . Could anyone let me know please how to go about the cleaning of the rugs

Robert Aigin

Cleantalk Member
Photos are essential to replying to this question.
Is the customer an expert on rugs or cleaning? Probably not, so let’s see what the rugs are and then I’m sure I can tell you about the rugs and their potential for colour run and others can advise on the best way to clean them.

old rugs were always woven with vegetable dye, but they rarely suffer with colour run. It is some of the modern dyes that cause the problems sometimes.

Simon J Richards

Cleantalk Member
Thankyou for your advice you gave me yesterday, the customer has sent some photos of the rugs with vegetable dyes on them. The customer thinks the dyes will run, please could anyone let us know how to treat the rugs or would it be best to say no and walk away from them.

Attachments

John Bolton

Cleantalker Veteran
For centuries virtually all fabric dyes had a plant basis.

Your question can only be answered by the careful completion of standard pre-testing. Even when a dye proves to be vagrant, it is often possible to stabilise it or by the actual cleaning technique capturing and removing the vagrancy before it creates unwanted deposits.

Robert Aigin

Cleantalk Member
This is a Persian Heriz carpet. In general, the colours a stable, BUT on some of the modern ones they over paint some of the colours that fade during the chemical washing. These are where the problems can occur. My advice is to back beat the rug to remove as much dry soil as possible and then surface clean after testing colours. Low moisture is the safest way to clean this rug.