Viscose Rug

Discussion in 'Rug Cleaning Issues' started by Julie Pritchard, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Julie Pritchard

Julie Pritchard Member

Advertisements:
    Hi all I've taken a 100% Viscose rug away from customer who's dog has urinated on it and customer has used vanish and rubbed to hard.
    I'e told her the damage is not repairable and the stain is permanent.
    I've advised that I can only dry clean only, but my worry is how can I rid the rug of the smell of urine when I can't wet it.

Thanks

2. Steve Porter

Steve Porter Moderator

Hi Julie

Can you take a picture for us?
    Some viscose rugs can tolerate moisture to some degree whilst others wilt away at the mere smell of it!
    If it's a real fine almost smooth/ fine weave then it might be that almost nothing can be done yet if it has thicker pile or woven into 1/4" bands then some things are possible

3. neil kelloway

neil kelloway Member

Julie

Take it back say sorry you can’t do it .

Then move on to more profitable jobs that are less TIME consuming

• Agreed Agreed x 4
    • Best Answer! Best Answer! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. jacob ward

jacob ward Member

Perhaps not take something away from a customers house unless your sure of something.....

J

5. Mark Sutcliffe

Mark Sutcliffe Member

urine neutraliser may be used if its acidic as a mist in cold water and then very gently towel dry

6. Paul White

Paul White Member

It might be a good idea to have some sort of "cooling off" period between identifying a viscose rug and actually doing any work on it (if you so choose). This is because of the often delusional state of mind that a potential client may enter when told they have bought a piece of pulp that can only deteriorate in appearance. For some it can take a while to grasp the fact that they didn't get what they thought they'd got & accept the limitations of procedures and results achievable before they return to reality. One analogy I used last week when viewing a rug that a potential client thought was silk was to tell her that she'd bought a caravan rather than a house..The caravan will start losing value immediately you buy it but the house will hold it's value and almost certainly increase over time.

7. Ken Wainwright

Ken Wainwright Solution Training Instructor Moderator

Not that simple Mark Sutcliffe.

The rule of thumb with urine neutralisers is that you need to apply a volume similar to that of the original contaminants. So, a half litre of urine would require half a litre of neutraliser etc. etc.

All of this aqueous liquid is not necessarily compatible with the rug's fibre content. I'm not saying it's impossible for relatively small deposits, but certainly not easy to execute and very time consuming. Misting a product on urine would not normally be sufficient.

Safe and happy cleaning:smile:
    Ken

• Agreed Agreed x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice