Waste Carriers License

Ken Wainwright

Cleantalker Veteran
I am posting this topic in this forum as I feel that it is so important that it should reach the maximum audience. After a few days, I will move it elsewhere.

The topic of a Waste Carriers License cropped up recently on another forum and, as always varying opinions were given. Some were not very helpful at all.

I decided to seek guidance directly from The Environment Agency asking as it would apply specifically to our industry. Below are my questions and their answers.

Q #1 Does a truckmount, carrying both fresh and soiled water, require a Waste Carriers License.
A. Yes it does. This will be a one-off registration. It will be in the Lower Tier, there is no cost and can be completed on line.

Q #2 Does a portable user, who uses and disposes of his water and waste on site require a Waste Carriers License?
A. No license required for this task.

Q #3 When we vac a carpet, we will have some dry soil collected by our vacuum cleaner. Do we require a Waste Carriers License for this?
A. Yes. It is waste you have generated and you will be required to register in the Lower Tier.

In conclusion, we all must register for a Waste Carriers License and as it relates to the questions I raised, it will be a one-off process to register in the Lower Tier and there will be no charges to pay.
https://www.gov.uk/waste-carrier-or-broker-registration

Failing to do this can lead to a £5000.00 fine

If, on the other hand, you were to take away waste generated by someone else, eg just remove a bag of rubbish for them, then an Upper Tier License would be required, will cost you £154.00 and must be renewed every 3 years @ £105.00

Safe and happy waste carrying:smile:
Ken

• Useful
  • Thanks
Reactions: 13 users

K.O. (Shorty) Glanville

Cleantalk Member
Wotta load of rubbish.

Political correctness to polish chair seats & ensure an exorbitant lifestyle for those in power.

But that's just my opinion. :worthy:

:wave:

:2beer::2beer::2beer::wheelchair::goodday:

PS:: Ta Sir Kenneth, mind if I stick it up for the colonials down under to laugh at??

• Funny
Reactions: 3 users

Mark Hunter

Cleantalk Member
Ken, did you ask about the waste transfer notes? I currently am a registered waste carrier on the lower tier for green waste. If you remove waste from a household, whether it be grass or a vacuum bag, you must complete a waste transfer note. It must be signed by yourself and the person you are removing the waste for. To comply with the law, a 3rd signature is required from the waste transfer station you go to. If I dispose of say grass clippings in my council green bin or my compost heap I have broken the law. Exactly the same if you take your commercial vacuum cleaner bag home and put in your domestic grey bin or place the clients black water in your own foul drain - law broken.

For green waste, they are now trying to push this further. If I mow a lawn for a client and put the waste in the clients green waste bin, I will soon be braking the law by putting commercially created waste into a domestic bin.

Ken Wainwright

Cleantalker Veteran
Thanks for bringing that to my attention Mark. I've never heard of a Waste Transfer Note until now.

A quick look here https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/duty-of-care-waste-transfer-note-template and following the overview link says that you need to complete the waste transfer note for any waste that is taken FROM YOUR premises, not your clients and outlines some of your responsibilities.

As with all things, there could well be other regulations that we are not presently aware of so now that everyone is pointed in the right direction, read through the links that Mark and myself have brought to your attention and find out which regulation affects your business and deal with it appropriately.

Safe and happy disposing:smile:
Ken

Reactions: 1 user

Ken Wainwright

Cleantalker Veteran
Shorty

Could I stop you? You'll post it any way, my friend:evilgrin:

I suppose it will make a change from me laughing at your own health and safety practices. Australia is a country where they'll have a sign saying "Caution, Safety Sign Ahead"

It gets worse for drivers too. In Australia, every car, van and truck has a man, woman, person walking in front of it with a red flag in their hand to warn others of an approaching vehicle:rofl:

Safe and happy sarcastic humour:evilgrin:
Ken

• Funny
  • Thanks
Reactions: 2 users

David Mitcham

Cleantalk Member
Vacuum bag gate.
What have the powers of be got against the vacuum.
First they reduce the power and now want us licensed to carry a vacuum bag of waste and then pay and get it signed for that we have done this correctly at a waste transfer station.
Suggestion 1
Remove this whole thread off cleantalk and get on with life.
Suggestion 2
Join the cowboys and don't bother pre vacuuming .
I'm off to the hypnotist now to have this thread removed from my memory

• Funny
Reactions: 7 users

K.O. (Shorty) Glanville

Cleantalk Member
Ken, you forgot to add my preferred mode of transport..... :wheelchair:

Sorry I took so long to answer, my last couple of days & the coming ones have been tied up with medical appointments.

Damn "Trigger Finger" on the 4th finger, right hand.

This has interfered with my lay-byes on a quiet b road. :helpme:

Wishing you all a safe & happy Christmas in July from the colonial convictus refugee with no affiliation to political correctness.

Crikey, pc, in my day meant something to do with a personal compooter.

:2beer: :wheelchair: :cowboy: :goodday:

John Bolton

Cleantalker Veteran
"Crikey, pc, in my day meant something to do with a personal compooter."

Oi Convict......... It also has another meaning ....... Now get back to Botany Bay. :lol:

mark shannon

Cleantalk Member
Got to agree for TM but a Vac wouldn't you be putting yourself unnecessarily on the radar of some jobs worth in a govt dept somewhere.

Ken Wainwright

Cleantalker Veteran
Absolutely Mark:thumbup:

However, I suspect the most likely time to be inspected is at the roadside when the DOE and other agencies pull over commercial vehicles:pop:

And as with many of the regulations, ignorance is not an excuse:afraid:

Safe and happy cleaning:smile:
Ken

• Agreed

Christopher Walters

Cleantalk Member
I got stopped last week by the environment agency (they were stopping all vans) no issues with me.

You never know though, it was only a few months back I had a letter through the door from local council asking for my last 3 years records for disposing my waste......didnt know I had to keep them.

Get it done its free

• Agreed
Reactions: 1 users

Mark Hunter

Cleantalk Member
In the landscape forum I belong to, there are several posts about gardeners having their vans impounded (and potentially crushed) for not having 1/ the license and 2/ the completed ticket carrying waste 'away'. As above a roadside check by VOSA.