Water Costs

Kevin Kirk

Cleantalk Member
Hi
My RO unit is currently in my fathers unit - but he's having to have a water meter fitted by the landlord.
I'm looking at options of moving the kit to either my garage or my unit.
Home is on a water meter and unit is shared (already been warned about water usage!)

Whats the best way to fill / most cost efficient way - would a pump increase speed of filtration? - we seem to get a lot of waste and tends to take around 3-4hours to fill a 350ltr holding tank (not sure if that's good for time or not?)

daniel crouch

Cleantalk Member
What ro unit ? - you see a merlin is faster than most but has a big waste ratio like for every 1000 litres pure 5 thousand waste . You want as close to a 1:1 or 1:2 ratio as pos if metered a pumped 4040 ro should be close to 1:2 and even the small 600 gpd r o units are close to that too .
Tap TDS ?

Steve Porter

Cleantalker Veteran
I'm no window cleaner so can only go on actual water costs
It seems that as a rough calculation filling your 350L tank is costing around £50 (based on £128 per cubic metre?)?

I would have assumed that by fitting a smaller bore/ reduced flow pump to your unit the water cost to fill would be the same but you should be able to clean windows with less water?

I guess one day many will be going back to doing it the old fashioned way as water costs will only ever increase, or units will be more available so that you can connect your ro unit directly to the clients tap?!

Dan Paton

Cleantalk Member
Fit your own water meter in between the outside tap and your RO system. Build a soakaway and divert the waste pipe to that. You can then submit water readings and claim the sewerage costs as the waste water isn't going to a drain. Different water companies have different rules though so speak to them first.

John Bolton

Cleantalker Veteran
Good post Dan,
:goodpost:

I don't clean windows but have a leaky pond and I resent paying sewerage charges at 90% of the water used when all the leaks do is to top up the valuable water table. Even my washing-up water does not go down the drain.

Trevor Ives

Cleantalker Veteran
I am on a septic tank, £80 every five years.
When I ran an RO I ran the waste into a 500lt tub.
When that was full I ran it through the RO again until I had got too strong, About 3 times from memory.

daniel crouch

Cleantalk Member
Did that kill off the pre filters trev ? Or was it about same as from tap . I know some who link the water from van a to van b to van c to save on waste and always wondered if it caused any premature failure or it was fine .

Kevin Kirk

Cleantalk Member
It’s an Xline system.
Took 7hrs to fill from empty to fill today. But that was after full filter & resin change.

daniel crouch

Cleantalk Member
I can only guess it’s got a 4040 ro unit the long ones but the membranes could be low pressure or not so many options if you’ve low water pressure - use a booster pump . High waste - close the waste valve some more but not fully - this will cost you a bit more in resin but reduce your waste and as above the fastest way to fill is to have the r o separate and use a transfer pump from an ibc tank .