What would you do?

Gareth Hill

Cleantalk Member
Morning people,
I've just had an enquiry from a customer saying he desperately needs his oven cleaned as ' when I light it the flames at the back don't fully engage and you have to use a lighter to light the remainder of it'

I've only done a couple of gas ovens so far but I've always kept the burners covered as I clean oven so no dirt or spray got there. Am I write in thinking this guy needs an appliance repair rather than a clean?

Gaz

Gareth Paul Williams

Cleantalk Member
I get this question all the time, "my gas hobs don't work well, I think they just need a clean" or " the oven doesn't light properly, I think it just needs a good clean." My response to all those things is to explain you're just there to clean and can't offer and guarantee it will resolve any faults. In fact with the internal oven burners we actively avoid cleaning it as it is easy to make it worse and block it further with cleaning debris.
Ultimately if they have a fault they need to contact an engineer (not me though, I don't do gas šŸ˜‹)

Gareth Hill

Cleantalk Member
Cheers Gareth, I've said as much. Not had a reply since I told him that his oven was a double and not a single so would therefore be a little more.

Until I have more experience I don't want to be cleaning ovens that have problems to start with.

Had a lady yesterday wanting just her hobs doing before eid as they weren't working correctly. Explained that she needed a gas engineer not a cleaner.

Rolph Groth

Cleantalk Member
Run away and don't look back, nowhere is the phrase, "no good deed goes unpunished" more true then i the world of oven cleaning

Gareth Hill

Cleantalk Member
I'm just glad he was honest in his enquiry, rather than tell me afterwards or not at all.

He never got back to me once I quoted and explained a clean could not guarantee to solve the issues. Think I've dodged a bullet.

Steven Johnson

Cleantalk Member
Hi

When you get an initial enquiry. Always ask if its an electric or gas oven. Then ask if they work okay. Taking a few seconds to ask the correct questions will avoid any wasted journeys.

Steve

Gareth Hill

Cleantalk Member
Hi

When you get an initial enquiry. Always ask if its an electric or gas oven. Then ask if they work okay. Taking a few seconds to ask the correct questions will avoid any wasted journeys.

Steve
That's what I've been doing Steve, I even get them to send me a pic of the oven too.

This was an email enquiry and in fairness the guy told me the issue he was having.