White marks

Mike Cocks

Cleantalk Member
Went to an oven clean today where the back of the oven had gone white ( gas oven) said to customer have you every cleaned this oven with anything harsh and the answer was no I only use oven pride on racks. Any ideas what it could be. Sorry didn’t take photos.

Dan Woodhead

Cleantalk Member
Apologies to Paul above, I don't mean to contradict but the white marks are not from the Gas. The only time natural gas (ch4 or methane) will produce anything visible is if there is incomplete combustion this would produce soot over a period of time. This is more common in boilers and fires however.

The white marks are caused by caustic oven cleaning chemical with oven pride been renowned for producing these white marks when dry.

Clean it off with warm soapy water and a sponge and advise the customer that she may need to go over it a few more times herself.

Paul Dennis

Cleantalk Member
Apologies to Paul above, I don't mean to contradict but the white marks are not from the Gas. The only time natural gas (ch4 or methane) will produce anything visible is if there is incomplete combustion this would produce soot over a period of time. This is more common in boilers and fires however.

The white marks are caused by caustic oven cleaning chemical with oven pride been renowned for producing these white marks when dry.

Clean it off with warm soapy water and a sponge and advise the customer that she may need to go over it a few more times herself.
its in most gas ovens of a certain age , it even make shapes , I have pictures of one and people said it looks like fish , I know what oven pride and the like do , I have customers that I have cleaned their oven from new and now after several years the streaky marks are appearing just like other gas ovens , you see it on pan stands too mainly where the flame hits the metal . so I will stick with thats thank you .

Jacob Ward

Cleantalker Veteran
I'm not paul

I am as well as Dan a gas engineer (or was)

Dealing with in part problems caused by homeowners and cleaners.

Coming from that angle, I was confirming I thought Dan's hypothesis was more likely of caustic residue, than anything else.

If we are wrong please correct us

J

Dan Woodhead

Cleantalk Member
its in most gas ovens of a certain age , it even make shapes , I have pictures of one and people said it looks like fish , I know what oven pride and the like do , I have customers that I have cleaned their oven from new and now after several years the streaky marks are appearing just like other gas ovens , you see it on pan stands too mainly where the flame hits the metal . so I will stick with thats thank you .
I've been servicing and repairing gas ovens for 17 years and can confirm that the combustion of natural gas would not and does not cause white marks on ovens.

If fames inside an oven are making contact with the metal sides then that is some serious flame lift and would make the application NOT SAFE and while an oven cleaner is not a gas engineer an experienced one should know that the oven is not burning correctly and bring this to the attention of the client.
Flames inside an oven should not be coming into contact with the metal side.

Although I don't clean ovens anymore I am trained and spent several years cleaning ovens alongside my carpet cleaning work and have used caustic and bio and can confirm that these white marks ARE caused by caustic residue.

Initially when the white marks are damp wiped they will disappear but once dry they will reappear, if the residue isn't properly cleaned and removed then it will react with the heat of the oven over a period of time and can permanently stain the oven white.

Experience will tell you that customers will never admit to attempting to clean with oven pride anymore than a carpet cleaning customer will admit to using vanish on a stain, they will just tell you that this mark has appeared.

I know @Jacob Ward and can confirm that he was a gas engineer and is also very experienced with cleaning products and technologies.

Paul Dennis

Cleantalk Member
I've been servicing and repairing gas ovens for 17 years and can confirm that the combustion of natural gas would not and does not cause white marks on ovens.

If fames inside an oven are making contact with the metal sides then that is some serious flame lift and would make the application NOT SAFE and while an oven cleaner is not a gas engineer an experienced one should know that the oven is not burning correctly and bring this to the attention of the client.
Flames inside an oven should not be coming into contact with the metal side.

Although I don't clean ovens anymore I am trained and spent several years cleaning ovens alongside my carpet cleaning work and have used caustic and bio and can confirm that these white marks ARE caused by caustic residue.

Initially when the white marks are damp wiped they will disappear but once dry they will reappear, if the residue isn't properly cleaned and removed then it will react with the heat of the oven over a period of time and can permanently stain the oven white.

Experience will tell you that customers will never admit to attempting to clean with oven pride anymore than a carpet cleaning customer will admit to using vanish on a stain, they will just tell you that this mark has appeared.

I know @Jacob Ward and can confirm that he was a gas engineer and is also very experienced with cleaning products and technologies.
I could of put money on you and him knowing each other lol like I say , I know what I see and yes a fool knows that it's no burning correct that's why most get them cleaner to get the crap off the burner . So you and j have a very fine evening , xx

Paul Dennis

Cleantalk Member
I'm only teasing Paul, all joking aside when you gain experience you will rethink allot of things.
I take no notice on here , there is a few people on here that I do enjoy reading . And I still beg to differ , but thank you for the entertainment on a boring evening , I'm surprised j didn't answer as he seems to have an answer to everything else or maybe you hadn't swapped notes .