White rug with 10% viscose

Tim Cornwall

Cleantalk Member
I've been asked to clean a couple of rugs. They were white long haired tufted rugs on what looked like a polypropelene backing. At first I thought they were the typical glued on polypropelene fibres but they turned out to be approx 50% polyester, 40% cotton and 10% viscose. I couldn't see any difference in the rug fibres. I know to clean a viscose rug is only possible using a low moisture method such as dry carpet cleaning powder. Pity I didn't take a photo but they are only up the road so I could probably get one if if it would help. Has anyone come across this type of rug before and could give advice on how to clean it?

Ken Wainwright

Cleantalker Veteran
I've cleaned many rugs with pure viscose and viscose blends by rinse extraction, but always using a hand tool. Do usual tests and work only with the pile for agitation and rinse/extraction. Towel dry and groom. Be aware of reactive dyes. Doesn't like heat.

Biggest problem is drying. Ditto for cotton. If soiling is moderate, dry compound is fine and easy.

Tim Cornwall

Cleantalk Member
Thanks Ken. This is booked in for next month so will let you know how I get on. The rug is only a couple of years old so although the surface shows some soiling there shouldn't be much hidden dry soil.

Tim Cornwall

Cleantalk Member
Did the work this week and the good news is I didn't ruin the rugs. I also had to clean the customers almost white wool loop pile carpets in a few rooms so I treated them all with M Power before starting on the rugs where I also used M Power, then rinsed the carpets (which came out great owing to the long dwell) before rinsing the rugs.
The technique is a necessary compromise on the standard method so I shouldn't hope for comparable results and it didn't help that the rugs were pure white. There was a strip where one rug was more soiled due to being walked over and this strip still seemed less clean to me. However the customer was delighted and gave me a healthy tip.