Wood Floors

Alex Sommersett

Cleantalk Member
Hi, new to all this just starting out and have been asked to clean a wood floor soon, what would you guys recommend?

I’m thinking of using something solvent free/degradable can i use a carpet cleaning chemical?

Agitate with a Pro35 then extract with carpet wand with a towel cable tied over the vac (i’ve seen hard floor wands suprised nobody has come up with an attachment?)

Will this work? thanks in advance

Lewis Newby

Cleantalk Member
Naturally wood floors hate moisture , I've been asked a few times but have been warned to swerve them and pass onto someone who knows what they're doing . Following incase im missing a trick

Alex Sommersett

Cleantalk Member
Thanks Lewis, obviously i don’t know what i’m doing haha but if it was my own house id clean it on the hands and knees with a brush then id mop it, can’t see the process being much different with the machines?

Andrew Evans

Cleantalker Veteran
Hi Alex I don't do wood floors. I once looked at a duplex machine which I was told would clean wood floors.

I was slightly sceptical so asked someone who restored wood floors his reply was "I don't know the machine but I do know the quickest way to bend wood is with steam"

Big difference between cleaning a wood floor and getting scratches out, Method do a good Wood floor cleaner, plus a lint free cloth would be the safest option.

For anything deeper it needs sanding and re finishing which is another ball game totally. I did look into it but I am way too old and it is way too hard for me.

Paul White

Cleantalk Member
I occasionally get an enquiry from someone wanting a wood floor cleaning.
I get lots of enquiries for floor sanding. 9/10 of the floors people wanted cleaning are in worse condition than those from sanding & refinishing enquiries. Just think of those calls when you're told the carpet needs a "light cleaning" and it turns out to be 40 year old axminster last cleaned 30 years ago.

Wood floors that people want deep cleaning are usually floors where the finish whether oil or polyurethane has failed, moisture has popped the grain and soil starts to build up. You can wash a rusty car and will get a clean rusty car - worth communicating that to the customer if the above is the case.