WoolSafe facebook debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick Robertson-Vousden

Solution World of Clean
I was recently involved in a debate on one of the Facebook pages regarding use of the term Woolsafe, following claims made by one or two people, and manufacturer supplier.

Having recently gone through the process of undergoing testing certification and approval for three of our products.

M-Power

Fusion 8

Dry Carpet Powder

I stood up and challenged the use of the term only to end up with one bully getting very unpleasant. ( not unusual on facebook) so I forwarded the conversation to Woolsafe for clarification, and received a detailed response, which I though I would post here, for those who are unaware on the process's behind the WoolSafe Mark. It highlights what you should and should say or indeed assume.

Hi Nick,

Sorry for the slow reply but we have a lot going on here with moving all our files and emails to a new platform.

I read through the messages you sent and wanted to post a reply to Mark. However, none of us here are members of this group, so I need to ask you to put it on in my name. Even if the conversation has moved on, there would be some benefit to put the record straight – but you can never stop misinformation being posted.

So here we go:
Hi, I did not come on this forum to tell anybody which products to use; I just want to help you separate fact from fiction. ‘John Texatherm’ says “WoolSafe are a private for profit organisation that derive income from membership and product testing…” – true, and what’s wrong with that? All chemical suppliers, carpet mills, retailers and carpet cleaners we work with are private companies striving to make a profit for a living. The alternative is state subsidy or going under. All other test houses and most certification bodies (even GreenSeal) are companies too.

“… to a standard that they have devised and implemented” – not strictly true. The WoolSafe test methods were worked out jointly by scientists and industry experts under the guidance of the International Wool Secretariat. The tests are based on international standards that must be strictly followed, not like something made up and improvised, as you imply. It (like all other international standards) is constantly reviewed and kept up-to-date.

The term officially recognised is misleading” – no, it is not. Like it or not, WoolSafe is a global authority in product testing and carpet care. It is one (the first) of only two such organisations in the world, the other being the Carpet and Rug Institute in the US. It is not for everybody, as training and associations are not for everybody either. That’s fine, if you do not want it, leave it, but do not try to devalue it.
Yes, Textile Cleaning Solutions (maker of Texatherm) was a member for 5 years, from 2001. Their two products were last tested by WoolSafe in 2005, which says nothing about them now, 14 years later; or about all the other products (like Biotrax and Blitzz) which have never been tested.

I am sure Texatherm develop their products with care, test them and take pride in them. So do the other chemical manufacturers. Prochem, Chemspec, Kärcher… they all have their dedicated R&D departments, but they still send their wool lines for WoolSafe to test and certify. Many have been doing it for over 25 years! If you feel independent testing and certification is not for you, that’s fine. If you do not value WoolSafe, you do not have to have it, but then you should not be using the WoolSafe name, like Adrian Mitchell does in relation to a non-approved product. If you think WoolSafe does not add any value, then why claim it?

Thanks again, Nick.
Yours
Ágnes

Dr. Ágnes Zsednai
Managing Director
The WoolSafe Organisation
49 Boroughgate
Otley, LS21 1AG, UK
Tel: 01943 850 817
Registered in England No 4543752
The WoolSafe Organisation - promoting quality carpet and rug care since 1991
Europe - North America - Australia - South Africa
www.woolsafe.org

Ian Morton

Cleantalk Member
...I think the party that prompted all of this (and the invaluable response by Ágnes) get a bit too carried away in their efforts to underpin and promote their approach to products (and there’s nothing wrong in trying to do your best to promote your business and products)...but one needs to keep one’s feet on the ground and not allow enthusiasm and loyalty to a brand and it’s process and approach become a Jobsian reality distortion field...

Mark Sutcliffe

Cleantalk Member
I've had more work through my 7 day old website than I have through facebook in the last 2 months...

I don't get the chemical snobbery, ffs, if it works us it, if it's safe, use it. I know a very sucessful old school cleaner around here that uses Bold 2 in 1..

I like M power, I like Fusion clean and I love SPM (for bonnet buffing). I like products from other suppliers however I won't go into detail because it's a World of Clean site. Competition is great as it makes companies push their products.

That said I can't become a woolsafe cleaner as I haven't been trading long enough :down:

Terry Miles

Cleantalk Member
5 years continuous trading to be able to do the course seems rather stupid to me, which I’m sure will provoke a negative response, but never mind. I could understand if it were 12-24 months, maybe even 36 months, at a push, but 5 years, really.

Nick Robertson-Vousden

Solution World of Clean
Absolutely Ian I have no issue with promotion but it should be done factually. Its a bit like the guys who harvest facebook likes or get all there fellow carpet cleaners to like the page, it doesn't take a genius to work out false likes.

Obviously having paid to have some of our products certified its not really fair for another business to use the benefits of WoolSafe for free.

Regards

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.