Corrugated / Moulded Sided Ovens

Declan Hughes

Cleantalk Member
I'm slowly getting my single oven times down from 3 hrs to between 1.5 to 2 hrs now following alot of the help from you guys. Mainly I think through heating the ovens up first. But when I get ovens with the corrugated / moulded sides it still takes me on average 3 hrs and my fingers are crippled afterwards. I fashioned a small round edged block out of a Cork sanding block to see if it would be any good to use within my steel wool ball for getting in between the ridges instead of using my fingers but not sure it made a massive difference.
Is there a trick I'm missing with these ovens. I've even just thought of putting vanquish on them every time to save the scrubbing but that sort of takes away the ECO friendly side of things.

Billy Marsh

Cleantalk Member
Your paste should soften it I. 10 mins on all ovens ! Scrap . And strengthen your hands ! I want 80 pound for 3 hours on a single

John Bolton

Cleantalker Veteran
I don't clean ovens other than my own but I do have an electric griddle that has lost most of its non-stick coating.

On oner occasion when the corrugations were fighting me I went into the garden, cut a stick fro my rosemary bus and fashioned this:
2017-10-28 12.35.05.jpg 2017-10-28 12.47.41.jpg
The diameter of the twig matches the curve of the corrugation so the full curve is contacted. This has lasted me years but if I were an oven cleaner I would buy some rock grade drumsticks (best hickory) and fashion a couple to use after softening with paste or whatever.

D

Deleted member 5124

Blade technique is probably the only method which will reduce your cleaning time on these, this will come with training or if your self taught will come with practice, its pretty hard to describe the action needed to clean them but blade should be 90 degrees facing the gaps, then push forward and flicking up at the same time, then reverse on the down slope of the little gap (sorry not best at describing the action)

Ian Dalziel

Cleantalk Member
Paul Pantony trims a blade down into a modified scraper ....its pictured in the oven tips somewhere ....... technique is similar to roberts above post but if i have a bad one i just get out some oven gel and let it do its thing and wipe clean, not bio friendly option though

Jason Ready

Cleantalk Member
@Ian Dalziel i thought Paul used a modified blade for awkward areas like behind element bases plates.

I’ve experimented with caustic gel, oven brown etc but I’ve never found any liquid / gel to be a good substitute for astute blading.

Paul Pantony

Cleantalk Member
There is nothing that will ever come close to using just your hands, they will get used to it. You can make a tool but the contours are all different so a tool that fits on top of the ridges won’t fit at the front or back of them. Far quicker to use your hands.