• You have a limited number of page views remaining
  • 2 guest views remaining

Customer Complaint Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh Dean

Cleantalk Member
Hi guys,

Did an upholstery clean yesterday. Tried to assertain the fabric but no chance of burn test and no visible label. Customer assured me she had had it wet cleaned on 3 occasions with no problem so proceeded with m power alongside a towel dry. Seemed to clean ok for its age and advised customer to air out and let the upholstery dry as naturally as possible. 20 hours later customer is calling me panicking saying its soaking wet, has had to remove the removable covers and is worried about mould etc.

Now 3 mistakes on my part.

1) I should have removed the removable covers after the clean so the foam could air out but they looked a tight fit and to be honest it was pretty dry to touch as I was leaving (after cleaning carpets for 2 hours after)
2) Yes there was no label but on a removable arm cover it did say 'dry clean only' which was spotted pretty much near the end.
3) When I was cleaning the 3 seater sofa I pulled up the flap running along the bottom to check the foam cushions which looked to have old dried in mould/water stains from a previous clean which wasnt spotted in survey. My worry now is that she is going to try and pass the blame on to myself.

I'm been completely honest here but i had a bad gut feeling about her on the job. Questioning everything I did, reading my labels, spying etc. Never experienced that before. She openly admitted without prompt it took 24 hours for her sofas to dry previously and called me after 20 hours in a state of panic. Like I said when I left the job they felt pretty dry. All I can think of is that the foam itself is wet and maybe now needs to be force dried. This was done at 150psi, only 1 or 2 passes, aired out and towel dried.

I expect a call later today in another 'state of panic' with very little I can say to reassure her. Apparently her husband is going to be 'fuming' when home but was only last night she was singing my praises etc.

Gutting feeling this especially when you work hard to please each and every customer. If it's something I've done wrong ill hold my hands up. Yes I've had training on upholstery cleaning but mostly theory. Your help would be greatly appreciated especially as expect another call later today.

Thanks

Attachments

Mark Roberts

Solution World of Clean
Advise her to open her windows. If there is no air movement a fabric will never dry out.

You could invest in handtool like the sapphire which will help bring dry times right down. Always take a pic of anything you spot and show the customer, even its halfway through the job. I would not have taken the covers off either.

Some heavy woven fabrics like that do take a while to dry, nothing uncommon.

Josh Dean

Cleantalk Member
Thanks Mark. I've told her on her lovely day like this open all windows and doors and let it dry naturally (which sarcastically she said that Is that the only thing I can think of) . I'll call her later on but she wasnt willing to take my advise on the phone and seems like she wants this all to blow up (with husband threat etc). Massive worry now that old ring stains on the foam will be blamed on me. Lesson learnt for always a thorough survey I guess!

Mark Roberts

Solution World of Clean
With upholstery always take a good amount of pics beforehand, it really can get you out of so much bother with the claiming society we have today.

The actual foam underneath the fabric? Must admit I've never had anyone moan about that! I doubt even if she claims she will get anywhere, I wouldn't be worried Josh.

Make sure you document that she didn't take your advise, write everything down with dates and times, just in case.

Josh Dean

Cleantalk Member
Blamed on me I mean as in old mould spores from previous poor drying spells. No picture or evidence from me is not good. Built up my credibility from 5 STAR reviews on Facebook, Yell etc over the last couple of years. Ironically she's even left a great review last night (which I never expected). A horrid feeling when somebody is panicking and upset like that.

Mark Roberts

Solution World of Clean
Mould does not form in a day, already without knowing it she has admitted it was there previously. Just write everything down you can remember she said, really useful if goes to a claim. If you do go back take pics of this mould and keep it polite, never admit liability, thats for the insurance to decide.

I have folders on my pc for every month, when I get home I download the pics from jobs I've done. I've had people from over 2 years after a job try to claim with upholstery, the pics have saved me and shuts down liers completely the odd time its needed.

Josh Dean

Cleantalk Member
Bloody hell 2 years later?! I've messaged her instead of calling so I've got it in writing. Reiterated my advice to air out.

Ken Wainwright

Cleantalker Veteran
Josh

1) Do NOT remove covers before, during or after cleaning a cushion

2) Many suites have "Dry Clean Only" labels which we totally ignore. They are there to stop the owner from removing covers, laundering and then to discover that they have shrunk and will not refit or they have changed from a velvet/velour into a crushed velvet. But yes, there are very rare cases when it is essential to dry clean and your training will guide you on this.

3) Mould takes more than 20 hours to establish itself and grow into a highly visible population.

With lower temperatures, high humidity and exacerbated by poor ventilation, drying of carpets and fabric will be problematic.

On our training courses, we supply many documents to our students. This includes one for a folded A4 leaflet, laid out as a template with after care advice for the customer along with various sales and marketing opportunities. It can be edited to your own needs with your own logo, name and contact details etc. etc. You can design and make one yourself or you can attend our course and have it for "free" along with other documents.

Finally, change your mindset. With genuine complaints, it is a great opportunity to rise above your competitors. Do everything reasonably expected to correct the situation and thank the customer for their understanding and patience whilst dealing with this unusual issue. Perhaps a bunch of flowers at the end wouldn't be amiss?

Safe and happy cleaning:smile:
Ken

Steve Porter

Cleantalker Veteran
Hi Josh

To add to Mark's advice
150spi is low for some tools like the Sapphire or dri master but high for an external jet tool, which do you use?

Sounds as though you may not own one as you may have thought you don't need it but now is the time to invest in a good airmover, be it a snail drier or dry pod?! I never let risk outway reward so I force dry all upholstery & never leave it in the hands of the client who may pop out & forget everything you said
The fabric looks like a heavyweight poly cotton which can hold a lot of moisture yet should not be of too much concern if dried well
Mould can start to grow after about 24 hours & if the foam is damp then you really have a problem as you may not see it for a few days but like you I wouldn't have removed the covers to clean either

Best thing now is to stay on the clients good side, it's not an issue unless you make it one & there's always a fix. you've not destroyed it & it can be corrected
Even if it means going back & spending a couple of hours recleaning/ removing old mould/ water staining (Final Phase at de-brown strength or Haitian cotton cleaner should suffice & use an airmover to force the drying! Even a £50 axial fan from RGK is better than nothing for upholstery

Josh Dean

Cleantalk Member
Thanks guys, that's great advice. Seems the customer has removed the covers since if left. I believe the covers are dry it's the foam underneath that she said is still wet. I've remained on the customers good side even sometimes through a bitten lip. Worst case scenario is I go back and invest in an air mover. She's text me the nice weather seems to be drying it and had calmed her down. She's also agreed that previous Cleans will have caused the water stains, spores on the foam. Unfortunately after investing in a new van, graphics, marketing etc I'm still using 2 x steempro 2000 with 150psi induction pump. It's just the standard clear upholstery tool.

Ken Wainwright

Cleantalker Veteran
A low cost upgrade to your clear headed plastic upholstery tool would be to scrap the original jet and fit an 01. I suspect the standard fitment on yours is an 02.

The next thing to do is to not rinse extract unless absolutely necessary, but to drift spray/extract. We teach this on our upholstery training course and it produces significantly better drying times.

Ken

Josh Dean

Cleantalk Member
Sorry Ken dont have clue what an 01 or 02 is! :dunno:

Drift spray? I might be completely way of but is that when you spray off the surface so that its not penetrating too deep then dry stroke after?

All sounds good when financially viable I'll definately consider the long trip down for couple of days training.

John Bolton

Cleantalker Veteran
Also, at this time of year most DIY barns offer 18" axial fans for about £26. Great for use on upholstery and providing some air circulation for over-heated cleaning technicians during summertime carpet cleaning.

Ken Wainwright

Cleantalker Veteran
Josh

here's a copy of an article I wrote for the NCCA back in 2003

There is an area of maintenance to our equipment which often gets neglected. We are usually only aware of it when a customer calls us back because we have left some “stains” in the carpet. The problem is streaking caused by jet wear.

There are 3 basic types of material used in the manufacture of the fan jets used in our HWE tools: plastic, brass and stainless steel. The plastic and brass wear moderately to fast, primarily dependant upon the nature of the chemicals and the water pressure. It isn’t uncommon for brass jets to be worn sufficiently within just a few months to cause streaking with a loss of the fan spray overlap on multi-jet tools. The stainless steel option, especially with portable machines, is usually a fit and forget item as wear rate is very slow.

How do jets wear? The erosion and corrosion caused by the cleaning solution makes the jet’s hole become larger. This has 2 consequences. Firstly, more water is passed through the jet which makes the carpet wetter, and secondly the fan of solution becomes narrower, so you are unable to rinse to the edge of the tool and also loose the overlap on multi-jet tools.

There is often confusion over the meaning of the numbers on the jet. Using as an example a specification of 8004. The first 2 numbers, in this case 80, signify the size of the solution’s fan which is 80° at 40psi. The second 2, 04, signify the amount of water which pass through, also at 40psi. In this case it’s 0.4 gallons per minute. For a 11003 jet it would be 110° at 0.3gpm. If the water pressure is increased, so will the fan angle and the flow rate. This part numbering system was developed by Spraying Systems Company of Wheaton Illinois, USA. This means they are US gallons, not Imperial. An easy conversion is 1.2 US gpm = 1Imp.gpm. Fortunately for us, most other fan jet manufacturers have utilised the same system for coding.

Many technicians, and indeed manufacturers, will sometimes install a higher specification water pump to their machines. What they often fail to do is adjust the jet sizes accordingly. At the recent NEC cleaning show, it was refreshing to have it pointed out to me by Robert Capocci of Cleancare International, an NCCA Associate Company, that their machine with a high spec 300psi pump had accordingly had jets with a 33% lower flow rate installed to their floor tools. It’s attention to detail like this that can make a good machine great.

Safe and happy cleaning

Ken Wainwright

Ken Wainwright

Cleantalker Veteran
You're correct on your interpretation of Drift Spraying Josh.

Hold the tool back from the fabric, spray an area then vacuum extract, without adding more rinse, in the usual way.

Ken

Daniel Darlow

Cleantalk Member
Josh.
P.S. Woolsafe do an excellent Mould Awareness Course, quite frightening !
Solutions do an Unparalleled Training Course, where you emerge almost as a fully fledged Ninja Carpet/ Upholstery Cleaner, might be worth investing in your future ? These problems are covered by Ken San Wainwright.

Josh Dean

Cleantalk Member
Intriguing Ken. Mines a plastic detailer. I've always liked it as can visually see the dirt passing through the tool. I remember a year ago the jet was spraying in all directions and as its plastic the whole part needed changing . I think a stainless steel tool will be my next upgrade. I'll refer to this for the jet speed. Ta

Status
Not open for further replies.