LTT Leather

Nubuck! At Last The Real Thing!

Daniel Darlow

Cleantalk Member
Many comments over years about cleaning Nubuck, which nearly all have been Microfibre disguised as Nubuck.
But this was the real thing, imported from South Africa, but still needed testing, (and I will admit, confirmation of action with the very knowledgeable Judy Bass at LTT Leather)
The issue was can this be cleaned and recoloured, or does it need to moved on?
The delicate pattern of the grain was a concern to the lady of the house who was in contention with the gentleman of the house, who just wanted it done. Always a concern when you are trying to placate both parties. And when the replacement costs of such upholstery is considered then it is a delicate situation. But I never take on a job as the end result being my responsibility, the problem was a problem to begin with, I can only TRY to make it look better.
This leather was soooooooooo affected by UV, almost pink/white in colour and felt like sandpaper.
A leap of faith and various dye tests and colours, produced I believe, one of the best jobs I have done. The clients were almost tearful when it was returned.
The most noticeable thing in the process was that many of the darker greaser stains blended in better than Aniline, so easier to 'colour in' the dyes.
Anyway.. a Happy Xmas all round.

Attachments

Judy Bass

LTT Leathercare
Well done Dan knew you could do it!!
Great results with a little confidence and a few exchanges of ideas
Buffed Aniline usually respond particularly well.
They were right to be delighted
Cheers
Judyb

T

Tony Woods

Out of curiosity what training have you done Daniel to acquire such skills? I understand it takes much practice and patience but I'd like to know what foundation you have.

Daniel Darlow

Cleantalk Member
My Leather colouring and restoration training began back in 2014 with Judy Bass at LTT.
I have before that, some many years in the furnishing trade and was aware of Leather types etc.
I have returned to LTT for further training on a masterclass aniline course.
Since 2016 I developed the Devon Leather Care business to run alongside my Carpet & Upholstery cleaning, where the plan was in my later years to develop the leather side as the strain and physical side of it was less taxing.
It grew quicker than expected.
I have also, in my love of leatherwork, developed a repair section to the business, bags, jackets, etc, etc. also I have gained self taught knowledge on making items for sale, creating another business Devon Leather Design which I hope to fledge in the New Year.
So all in all not a bad move, you need to keep learning, keep the brain ticking over, but overall enjoy what you are doing. Good Luck.