Restarting my business, need some help and advice

Samantha Day

New Cleantalker
Hi.
I have been a cleaner for 16 years so although you think you know everything.. you are still always learning!
This is the 3rd time I have restarted my business due to personal reasons. Previously I was buying viakal, flash bathroom, kitchen cleaner etc which eats into my £11.50 per hour including the insurance I pay for also.
I also have a office I charge £15 an hour for (I'm in the Kent Area and apparently that's high).
What I'm trying to ask is what equipment do I need, and products that are effective and ease off the profits also? I currently have a Henry but i am looking at getting a Sebo Dart. I have 100s of microfiber cloths as well.... Has anyone used the Distilled vinegar and dish soap trick for the shower screens because a few of my clients have really bad showers?
Also can anyone give me advice on expanding to more offices. There are a lot of cleaning 'companies' in my area, that domt do it by the book so I am competing with them as well.

Thank you for reading this far if you have!!

Terry Miles

Cleantalk Member
Where in Kent are you, I don’t know why you would use viakal, it’s average at best and costly.

As for distilled vinegar and dish soap, I’m mean, really lol

What do you mean by a lot of companies that don’t do it by the book.

Jamie Biles

Cleantalk Member
Don't compete with the others. Set your standards high and prices higher. The rest will take care of itself and learn to say no when feasible.

Samantha Day

New Cleantalker
Where in Kent are you, I don’t know why you would use viakal, it’s average at best and costly.

As for distilled vinegar and dish soap, I’m mean, really lol

What do you mean by a lot of companies that don’t do it by the book.
That is why I was asking for advice not for rudeness. You haven't actually given me any advice to be honest just ridiculed what I have asked. I have used a variety of products over the years but things change and new things come out. I only joined this site for help ‍♀

Jamie Biles

Cleantalk Member
Find a supplier your happy with. Personally I use Cleenol (they local to me and supply uk/worldwide). In my Arsenal I use their descaler/sanitiser,lift original,novacross along with toilet dealer,x-r hand pads and Mr Sheen polish. Good expensive beeswax also. Plastic razor scraper. And hg mould/mildew spray. (Ppe required). Fishscale window cloth from paragon microfibre along with colour co-odinated premium microbes from them. Not much can't tackle with that. Maybe astonish paste also. Check out Cleenol X2 range. Several concentrate bottles that simply clip in and empty water bottle the other so rarely get caught short on supply.

Samantha Day

New Cleantalker
Find a supplier your happy with. Personally I use Cleenol (they local to me and supply uk/worldwide). In my Arsenal I use their descaler/sanitiser,lift original,novacross along with toilet dealer,x-r hand pads and Mr Sheen polish. Good expensive beeswax also. Plastic razor scraper. And hg mould/mildew spray. (Ppe required). Fishscale window cloth from paragon microfibre along with colour co-odinated premium microbes from them. Not much can't tackle with that. Maybe astonish paste also. Check out Cleenol X2 range. Several concentrate bottles that simply clip in and empty water bottle the other so rarely get caught short on supply.
Thank you for your reply and advice, I have a company called ashbys local to me. Maybe I should go in there and ask them what they suggest using with them. Obviously using store brought products aren't profitable

Terry Miles

Cleantalk Member
That is why I was asking for advice not for rudeness. You haven't actually given me any advice to be honest just ridiculed what I have asked. I have used a variety of products over the years but things change and new things come out. I only joined this site for help ‍♀
Not rudeness at all just being honest, you seem to want a list given to you off magical products, my point is I am surprised, as you have been in the industry a fair while.

Ok I’ll give you a couple of golden nuggets, 1 - avoid Ashby, and 2 look up Avica uk.

And 3 - look at getting some proper training, which you may think is rude, but it’s really not, had you come on here asking for advice on setting up carpet cleaning, everyone would advise you get training before anything else. Same goes with general cleaning really. Some products are amazing, but if not experienced with them can cause great damage.

And you didn’t answer my question either, but hey ho.

Good luck

Samantha Day

New Cleantalker
Not rudeness at all just being honest, you seem to want a list given to you off magical products, my point is I am surprised, as you have been in the industry a fair while.

Ok I’ll give you a couple of golden nuggets, 1 - avoid Ashby, and 2 look up Avica uk.

And 3 - look at getting some proper training, which you may think is rude, but it’s really not, had you come on here asking for advice on setting up carpet cleaning, everyone would advise you get training before anything else. Same goes with general cleaning really. Some products are amazing, but if not experienced with them can cause great damage.

And you didn’t answer my question either, but hey ho.

Good luck
I have had proper training. In detailed cleaning, carpet and upholstery cleaning, oven cleaning, end of tenancy etc.

I had come on here asking what products as I have used a wide variety and like I said I have used viakal and wanted something similar but not so pricey as I think it has done a excellent job. Some products work for some but not for others.
You have been rude/stand offish and I think you could have worded things better.
The distilled vinegar and dish soap I asked because a client has asked about it if I would use it because she has and likes to use it. I am in Sittingbourne. There I have answered in the manner you portray. Treat others as you want to be treated yourself.... just a little advice. I will not be replying to you anymore. Thank you
Also I have never had a problem with Ashby's help and products either and neither has my friend or is a highly sought after car detailer...

Samantha Day

New Cleantalker
If pm details,happy post a little package of some goodies I have/use. New/unused. Always willing help fellow tradesmen/women.
Thank you Jamie you have been most helpful and I will take your advice on board. Happy for you to PM me a list of products but dont want you going out your way to send anything

Kevin Kirk

Cleantalk Member
We use Clover Chemicals. Their concentrate "DoseIt" range do 50 trigger sprays from 1 bottle of concentrate. Works out arround 6p per trigger bottle.
We charge between £13-£18+VAT for cleaning - depends on out of hours, travel distance etc and never usually miss out on work. We've never cold called - all through recommendations, website and van sign writing.
Most of the cleaning "tricks" are what people see on line/facebook - yes they'll work - but its probably something they'd do themselves and shouldn't be asking a professional to do it.

John Bolton

Cleantalker Veteran