LTT Leather

Faux leather..

James Hocking

Cleantalk Member
Hello,

Although I don't advertise upholstery or generally go near it I always get asked and this one I wouldn't mind cleaning.

It's faux leather, now I think there are a couple of different variations and I have searched through the threads and found some use SPM, which would be nice!

It's going to be a spray on towel off affair..

Going to go and test the backs like normal.

The sofa has a bit of ink and dye transfer from clothing, tried a bit of r/x on the back seemed ok.

The customer is moving in six months and the sofa will not be moving with them, they have some visitors coming from overseas soon and just want it looking it's best!

Any advice helpful as always!!

Attachments

James Hocking

Cleantalk Member
Yes was thinking that Nathan, after googling pigmented leather, basically it's painted leather, could prove problematic!

Judy Bass

LTT Leathercare
I would do all your tests to check.
Not convinced it is pigmented leather looking at the construction etc
Can you get to the backing?
Cheers
Judyb

James Hocking

Cleantalk Member
I have only had a quick look at it but the the backing on the back panels is lined with fabric, might go back and have a look later in the week, will post what I find customer is convinced it's a synthetic.

Nathan Gale

Cleantalk Member
It does look very convincing, I see Judys point now and a fabric backing would generally point to a synthetic normally polyester or microfibre. Feel test and microscope often gives it away for me too, can’t do that lol

K.O. (Shorty) Glanville

Cleantalk Member
James Hocking:

This will give you an idea of what either imitation leather, or vinyl looks like.

The brown is Bycast/Bicast rubbish.

This also shows how it can deteriorate & fall apart like sunburn.

The pink is actually the inside of vinyl, which also looks very similar to imitation leather.

OOPS 😢 Sorry about all the pics. I'm STILL a computer dummy.

Moderator, please delete as necessary.

Thank you.

1627077573236.jpeg 1627077596105.jpeg 1627077670069.jpeg 1627077724070.jpeg 1627077743072.jpeg

James Hocking

Cleantalk Member
Thanks for the replys, it's been a while since looking at this thread I left the customer a voice mail saying unfortunately I wouldn't be able to do anything about it

I had a call over the weekend saying that the customer has found the receipt from Harvey's and it is indeed faux, it's a Harvey's hedgemoor corner sofa.

They want me to have a go at cleaning but still unsure about cleaning.

I am booked on the course at World of Clean late September, but any advice now knowing it's faux would be great, thanks in advance!

Ken Wainwright

Cleantalker Veteran
If this is faux leather James, the most likely fabric is going to be microfibre flocked. Usually polyester but occasionally nylon, so there's nothing to worry about on that front.

These fabrics have a backing material with an adhesive coating. Using static electricity, fibres are attracted to the adhesive/fabric like iron filings to a magnet. There are variations but you get my drift.

Cleaning is reasonably straight forward but there are a few special considerations to bare in mind. On VERY rare suites, there will be a label that says Dry Clean only. If it does, walk away at this stage, you'll learn more in September. For the other 99% of cases, wet cleaning is easy.

Do not use any solvents. They will attack the adhesive and cause de-flocking either on the day, tomorrow or next week/month. Rinse with cool or, at most, warm water. Do NOT go hot. Pre-spray can be as required. For me, it was usually SPM with a Crystal Rinse or for really, really bad ones, Shockwave with Crystal Rinse. When rinsing, one panel at a time then towel off dry and groom pile if there is one.

These fabrics will still feel very wet upon completion, so good dry towelling is essential. Forced drying, if available, is desirable.

See you next month

Safe and happy cleaning:smile:
Ken

James Hocking

Cleantalk Member
Thanks, just left, the main stains are dye transfer from clothing.

Tried some SPM lightly brushed in on a small area and extracted using a towel but did not shift it, r/x also failed no transfer into a towel with both.

The only thing I didn't try was Shockwave, but I think it may be that the dye and the sofa has become one!

Judy Bass

LTT Leathercare
If this is faux leather it could be a type of vinyl (vinyls are usually called faux or pleather rather than microfibres which are often micro suede or other such names)
If this is the case dye transfer will be almost impossible to remove (far harder than on leather) because as you say they seem to become one and cannot be restored as easily as leather
Hope this helps